East Asian Economic Integration and its Impact on Future Growth
Two presumptions appear to underlie recent proposals for East Asian economic integration. The first is that economic integration is a good way to promote economic growth. The second is that preferential trade agreements (PTAs), particularly ones that go beyond goods trade, are an effective way to promote economic integration. Both these presumptions are empirical questions. In this paper, a partial evaluation of the evidence suggests caution. Even a broadranging PTA may do little to remove the important impediments to growth in the region. Far greater income gains would come from comprehensive reform of non-discriminatory impediments to competition, as part of a thorough-going programme of unilateral domestic regulatory reform. It may be time to rethink East Asian economic integration as a policy priority, or at least review the way in which it might be pursued. Copyright 2006 The Author Journal compilation 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0378-5920|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0378-5920|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Vanzetti & Greg McGuire, 2005.
"Trade Policy At The Crossroads – The Indonesian Story,"
UNCTAD Blue Series Papers
28, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- David Vanzetti & Greg McGuire & Prabowo, 2005. "Trade Policy at the Crossroads: The Indonesian Story," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 347, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- David Vanzetti & Greg McGuire & Prabowo, 2005. "Trade Policy at the Crossroads - The Indonesian Story," Trade Working Papers 22037, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Arief Ramayandi, 2005. "ASEAN Monetary Cooperation : Issues and Prospects," Finance Working Papers 22028, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Arief Ramayandi, 2005. "ASEAN Monetary Cooperation: Issues and Prospects," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 349, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Dollar, David & Micco, Alejandro & Clark, Ximena, 2002. "Maritime transport costs and port efficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2781, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)