Promoting Domestic Reforms Through Regionalism
There is a strong presumption among economists that domestic reforms are promoted by regionalism. Yet strong empirical evidence for this proposition is lacking. The purpose of the paper is to examine in some detail both the theoretical arguments and empirical evidence on this issue, drawing on the relevant economic, political and legal literatures. The paper argues that in general, the case for reciprocity in domestic reforms is weak. In the one case where a regional agreement appears to have promoted domestic reform — the European Union — the enforcement mechanisms used by the European Court of Justice played a significant role. But those mechanisms are not unique. Instead, the paper argues that the EU's success was because domestic constituents were empowered to take action against uncompetitive regulation. Thus the EU promoted economic reform in sensitive, behind-the-border areas because it overcame the problem of loss of sovereignty by internalising the political battle to domestic interests, and yet still provided a non-political frame of reference for the debate.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/research/crwf_ssrn/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ethier, Wilfred J., 2001. "The new regionalism in the Americas: a theoretical framework," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 159-172, July.
- Philippa Dee, 2005. "The Australia-US Free Trade Agreement: An Assessment," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 345, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Jean-Yves Pitarakis & George Tridimas, 2003. "Joint Dynamics of Legal and Economic Integration in the European Union," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 357-368, November.
- Carrubba, Clifford J. & Murrah, Lacey, 2005. "Legal Integration and Use of the Preliminary Ruling Process in the European Union," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 59(02), pages 399-418, April.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mattoo, Aaditya & Sapir, André, 2007.
"The Political Economy of Services Trade Liberalization: A Case for International Regulatory Cooperation?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6457, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernard Hoekman & Aaditya Mattoo & André Sapir, 2007. "The political economy of services trade liberalization: a case for international regulatory cooperation?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 367-391, Autumn.
- André Sapir & Bernard Hoekman & Aaditya Mattoo, 2007. "The political economy of services trade liberalization: a case for international regulatory cooperation?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8098, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Joseph F. Francois & B. Hoekman, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
wiiw Working Papers
60, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," Economics working papers 2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Innwon Park & Soonchan Park, 2008.
"Reform Creating Regional Trade Agreements And Foreign Direct Investment: Applications For East Asia,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 550-566, December.
- Park, Innwon & Park, Soonchan, 2006. "Reform-creating regional trade agreements and foreign direct investment: applications for East Asia," MPRA Paper 1817, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2007.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2011.
"Services Trade Liberalization and Regulatory Reform: Re-invigorating International Cooperation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8181, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2011. "Services trade liberalization and regulatory reform : re-invigorating international cooperation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5517, The World Bank.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1996.
"Regionalism in a multilateral world,"
Discussion Papers, Series II
314, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Philipp Harms & Aaditya Mattoo & Ludger Schuknecht, 2003.
"Explaining liberalization commitments in financial services trade,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 139(1), pages 82-113, March.
- Harms, Philipp & Mattoo, Aaditya & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2003. "Explaining liberalization commitments in financial services trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2999, The World Bank.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2011. "Asian FTAs: Trends, prospects and challenges," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-22, February.
- repec:aei:rpbook:24252 is not listed on IDEAS
- Claude Barfield, 2001. "Free Trade, Sovereignty, Democracy," Books, American Enterprise Institute, number 52877, 9.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Levine, Ross, 2004.
"Bank regulation and supervision: what works best?,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 205-248, April.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio Jr., Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2001. "Bank regulation and supervision : what works best?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2725, The World Bank.
- James R. Barth & Gerard Caprio, Jr. & Ross Levine, 2002. "Bank Regulation and Supervision: What Works Best?," NBER Working Papers 9323, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard Emily J, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment, Endogenous Tariffs, and Preferential Trade Agreements," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-52, November.
- Buti,Marco & Deroose,Servaas & Gaspar,Vitor & Martins,João Nogueira (ed.), 2010. "The Euro," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9789279098420, November.
- Martin Gassebner & Noel Gaston & Michael Lamla, 2008.
"The Inverse Domino Effect: Are Economic Reforms Contagious?,"
KOF Working papers
08-187, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Martin Gassebner & Noel Gaston & Michael J. Lamla, 2011. "The Inverse Domino Effect: Are Economic Reforms Contagious?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 52(1), pages 183-200, 02.
- Martin Gassebner & Noel Gaston & Michael Lamla, 2007. "The Inverse Domino Effect: Are Economic Reforms Contagious?," Monash Economics Working Papers 31-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- OCHIAI Ryo & Philippa DEE & Christopher FINDLAY, 2007. "Services in Free Trade Agreements," Discussion papers 07015, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Barichello, Richard R., 2004. "Nafta And Domestic Agricultural Policy Reform: Observations From Canada," Working Papers 15851, University of British Columbia, Food and Resource Economics.
- Burley, Anne-Marie & Mattli, Walter, 1993. "Europe Before the Court: A Political Theory of Legal Integration," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(01), pages 41-76, December.
- Edward M. Graham & Erika Wada, 2000. "Domestic Reform, Trade and Investment Liberalisation, Financial Crisis, and Foreign Direct Investment into Mexico," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(6), pages 777-797, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:crwfrp:1107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Stern)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.