The Impact of Agriculture on Waterfowl Abundance: Evidence from Panel Data
Because there are potential externality benefits, it is important to specify an appropriate statistical model when analyzing the conflict between agriculture and migratory waterfowl in Canadaâ€™s pothole region. Unlike non-spatial panel models, our use of a spatial autoregressive panel model identifies indirect impacts of agricultural activities on wetlands and waterfowl. In particular, we find that programs to restore wetlands in one location will result in enhanced duck productivity of wetlands and habitat in other locations within the study region. Even so, costs of protecting ducks could range from $107 to $204 per bird.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wong, Linda & van Kooten, G. Cornelis & Clarke, Judith A., 2012.
"The Impact of Agriculture on Waterfowl Abundance: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(2), August.
- Linda Wong & G. Cornelis van Kooten & Judith A. Clarke, 2011. "The Impact of Agriculture on Waterfowl Abundance: Evidence from Panel Data," Working Papers 2011-01, University of Victoria, Department of Economics, Resource Economics and Policy Analysis Research Group.
- Lee, Lung-fei & Yu, Jihai, 2010. "Estimation of spatial autoregressive panel data models with fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 165-185, February.
- Withey, Patrick & van Kooten, G. Cornelis, 2011. "The effect of climate change on optimal wetlands and waterfowl management in Western Canada," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(4), pages 798-805, February.
- G. Cornelis van Kooten & Patrick Withey & Linda Wong, 2011.
"Bioeconomic Modeling of Wetlands and Waterfowl in Western Canada: Accounting for Amenity Values,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 59, pages 167-183, 06.
- G. Cornelis van Kooten & Patrick Withey & Linda Wong, 2010. "Bioeconomic modeling of wetlands and waterfowl in Western Canada: Accounting for amenity values," Working Papers 2010-04, University of Victoria, Department of Economics, Resource Economics and Policy Analysis Research Group.
- van Kooten, G. Cornelis & Withey, Patrick & Wong, Linda, 2010. "Bioeconomic modeling of wetlands and waterfowl in Western Canada: Accounting for amenity values," Annual Meeting, 2010, Denver Colorado, July 25-27 61308, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society.
- Richard M. Porter & G. Cornelis Kooten, 1993. "Wetlands Preservation on the Canadian Prairies: The Problem of the Public Duck," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 41(4), pages 401-410, December.
- Nicolas DEBARSY (CERPE De Namur) & Cem ERTUR, 2009.
"Testing for Spatial Autocorrelation in a Fixed Effects Panel Data Model,"
1546, Orleans Economic Laboratorys, University of Orleans.
- Debarsy, Nicolas & Ertur, Cem, 2010. "Testing for spatial autocorrelation in a fixed effects panel data model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 453-470, November.
- Nicolas Debarsy & Cem Ertur, 2009. "Testing for Spatial Autocorrelation in a Fixed Effects Panel Data Model," Post-Print halshs-00414133, HAL.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Brown, Gardner, Jr & Hammack, Judd, 1973. "Dynamic Economic Management of Migratory Waterfowl," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 73-82, February.
- G�ran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:134293. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.