Should I Make or Should I Buy? Innovation Strategies and Governance Structures in the Italian Food Sector
This paper analyses the “make or buy” decision of food firms applied to innovation strategy using 389 Italian food firms data from the Unicredit 2007 database. We develop a set of hypothesis from three theoretical perspectives such as transaction cost economics, strategic management and resource-based view. Our paper aims at highlight whether or not different firm’s features can be linked to the decision to make or buy. We found out that these two decisions are positively interlinked. Moreover we also found out that it is difficult to indicate a clear-cut behaviour for the Italian food firms if we refer to making or buying decisions. We discuss these results and use them to bring some interesting outcomes to discuss managerial implications and/or policy interventions in this highly strategic domain.
Volume (Year): 02 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://220.127.116.11/ojs/index.php/fsd|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-795, December.
- Nishaal Gooroochurn & Aoife Hanley, 2006.
"A Tale of Two Literatures: Transaction Cost and Property Rights in Innovation Outsourcing,"
17, Industrial Economics Division.
- Gooroochurn, Nishaal & Hanley, Aoife, 2007. "A tale of two literatures: Transaction costs and property rights in innovation outsourcing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1483-1495, December.
- James H. Love & Stephen Roper, 2005. "Economists' perceptions versus managers' decisions: an experiment in transaction-cost analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(1), pages 19-36, January.
- Roper, Stephen & Love, James H., 2002. "Innovation and export performance: evidence from the UK and German manufacturing plants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1087-1102, September.
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Hollenstein, Heinz, 1996. "A composite indicator of a firm's innovativeness. An empirical analysis based on survey data for Swiss manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 633-645, June.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1994. "Evaluating technological information and utilizing it : Scientific knowledge, technological capability, and external linkages in biotechnology," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 91-114, June.
- Williamson, Oliver, 2009.
"The Theory of the Firm as Governance Structure: From Choice to Contract,"
Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 6, pages 111-134, December.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2002. "The Theory of the Firm as Governance Structure: From Choice to Contract," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 171-195, Summer.
- Kumar, Nagesh & Saqib, Mohammed, 1996. "Firm size, opportunities for adaptation and in-house R & D activity in developing countries: the case of Indian manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 713-722, August.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 1999. "Make and buy in innovation strategies: evidence from Belgian manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Ulset, Svein, 1996. "R&D outsourcing and contractual governance: An empirical study of commercial R&D projects," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 63-82, July.
- Bougrain, Frederic & Haudeville, Bernard, 2002. "Innovation, collaboration and SMEs internal research capacities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 735-747, July.
- Bart Nooteboom, 2004. "Governance and competence: how can they be combined?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 505-525, July.
- Molero, Jose & Buesa, Mikel, 1996. "Patterns of technological change among Spanish innovative firms: the case of the Madrid region," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 647-663, June.
- Fritsch, Michael & Lukas, Rolf, 2001.
"Who cooperates on R&D?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 297-312, February.
- Fritsch, Michael & Lukas, Rolf, 1998. "Who Cooperates on R&D?," Freiberg Working Papers 1998,12, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Fritsch, M. & Lukas, R., 1998. "Who Cooperates on R & D ?," Papers 98/12, Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- James H. Love & Stephen Roper, 2001. "articles: Outsourcing in the innovation process: Locational and strategic determinants," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 80(3), pages 317-336.
- Scott E. Masten & Stéphane Saussier, 2000. "Econometrics of Contracts : an Assessment of Developments in the Empirical Literature on Contracting," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 92(1), pages 215-236.
- Kuemmerle, Walter, 1998. "Optimal scale for research and development in foreign environments--an investigation into size and performance of research and development laboratories abroad," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 111-126, June.
- Teece, David J., 1996. "Firm organization, industrial structure, and technological innovation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 193-224, November.
- Drivas, Kyriakos & Giannakas, Konstantinos, 2006. "The Effect Of Cooperatives On Product Innovation In The Agri-Food System," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21223, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Arundel, Anthony & Kabla, Isabelle, 1998. "What percentage of innovations are patented? empirical estimates for European firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 127-141, June.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
- W. Bruce Traill & Matthew Meulenberg, 2001. "Innovation in the food industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-21.
- Rongxin Chen, 1996. "Technological Expansion: the Interaction Between Diversification Strategy and Organizational Capability," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(5), pages 649-666, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ijofsd:121856. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.