Product Markets and 1992: Full Integration, Large Gains?
The goal of the '"1992" program is to complete by January 1, 1993, what the European Community set out to do in 1957: create a common market with a free flow of goods, services, labor, and capital. If the program is completed, the twelve member countries of the Community will form a common market larger than the United States, both in terms of population and gross domestic product (GDP). The renewed efforts have fuelled high expectations among the participants, and led to apprehension among many onlookers. Will "1992" bring the full integration and substantial benefits that are expected? Do countries outside the European Community have reason to fear "1992" or will they also benefit?
Volume (Year): 6 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/jep/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Richard E, 1992. "Measurable Dynamic Gains from Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 162-174, February.
- Tom Lee & Louis L. Wilde, 1980. "Market Structure and Innovation: A Reformulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(2), pages 429-436.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Garth Saloner, 1989. "Tariffs vs Quotas with Implicit Collusion," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(2), pages 237-244, May.
- Winters, L. Alan, 1992. "Integration, Trade Policy and European Footwear Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 679, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Horn, Henrik & Lang, Harald & Lundgren, Stefan, 1995.
"Managerial effort incentives, X-inefficiency and international trade,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 117-138, January.
- Horn, H. & Lang, H. & Lundgren, S., 1991. "Managerial Effort Incentives, X-Inefficiency and International Trade," Papers 507, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Gasiorek, Michael & Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J, 1992. "`1992': Trade and Welfare; A General Equilibrium Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 672, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Venables, Anthony J., 1990. "The economic integration of oligopolistic markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 753-769, June.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Norman, Victor D, 1992. "Global Production Effects of European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 669, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Petith, Howard C, 1977. "European Integration and the Terms of Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(346), pages 262-272, June.
- Glenn C. Loury, 1979. "Market Structure and Innovation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 395-410.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1980. "Industrial Structure and the Nature of Innovative Activity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 266-293, June.
- Brander, James A., 1981. "Intra-industry trade in identical commodities," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 1-14, February.