Price-Cost Margins and Economic Integration: How Important is the Pro-Competitive Effect?
In this paper we examine whether the conventional result of a greater degree of integration leading to lower price-cost margins (i.e., the pro-competitive effect), would hold when two countries integrate by forming a common market. We propose a general framework of reference, in order to assess the extent of the pro-competitive effect when the role of other variables is allowed for, both for a “small” and “large” common market. By solving the model, the price-cost margin of domestic firms would depend on a set of variables in addition to trade costs with the partner country, which might eventually offset the conventional result.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francis E. Warnock, 1998. "Idiosyncratic tastes in a two-country optimizing model: implications ; of a standard presumption," International Finance Discussion Papers 631, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999.
"Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 1991. "Market Integration, Competition, and Welfare," Papers 499, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 1992. "Market Integration, Competition, and Welfare," Papers 03-92, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Wooton, Ian, 1991. "Market Integration, Competition and Welfare," CEPR Discussion Papers 574, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Regional economic integration," Handbook of International Economics,in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1597-1644 Elsevier.
- Harry Flam, 1992. "Product Markets and 1992: Full Integration, Large Gains?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 7-30, Fall.
- Bottasso, Anna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2001. "Market power, productivity and the EU Single Market Program: Evidence from a panel of Italian firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 167-186, January.
- Oscar Bajo Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, "undated". "A General Framework for the Macroeconomic Analysis of Monetary Unions," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 01-06, FEDEA.
- Óscar Bajo Rubio & Carmen Díaz Roldán, 2001. "A General Framework For The Macroeconomic Analysis Of Monetary Unions," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 0101, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, 2001. "A General Framework For The Macroeconomic Analysis Of Monetary Unions," Working Papers 01-06, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Chris Allen & Michael Gasiorek & Alasdair Smith, 1998. "The competition effects of the Single Market in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(27), pages 439-486, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aee:wpaper:0402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jose L. Torres)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.