A General Framework For The Macroeconomic Analysis Of Monetary Unions
The objective of this paper is to develop a general framework for the macroeconomic modelling of monetary unions, which could be useful for policy analysis, as well as for teaching purposes. Our starting point will be the standard twocountry Mundell-Fleming model with perfect capital mobility, extended to incorporate the supply side, and modified so that the money market is common for two countries forming a monetary union. The model is presented in two versions: for a small and a big monetary union, respectively. After solving each model, we will derive multipliers for monetary, real (i. e., demand-side), supply, and external shocks, paying a special attention to the distinction between symmetric and asymmetric shocks. A graphical analysis is also provided.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 34 948 169340
Fax: 34 948 169 721
Web page: http://www.econ.unavarra.es
|Order Information:|| Postal: Papers are not sent in a centralized mode. You can download them with ftp, or contact the authors.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, July.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, July.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The Mirage of Fixed Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
5191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard C. Marston, 1984. "Exchange Rate Unions as an Alternative to Flexible Rates: The Effects of Real and Monetary Disturbances," NBER Chapters, in: Exchange Rate Theory and Practice, pages 407-442 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Läufer, Nikolaus K. A. & Sundararajan, Srinivasa, 1994. "The international transmission of economic shocks in a three-country world under mixed exchange rates," Discussion Papers, Series II 216, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Laufer, Nikolaus K. A. & Sundararajan, Srinivasa, 1994. "The international transmission of economic shocks in a three-country world under mixed exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 429-446, August.
- Carlin, Wendy & Soskice, David, 1990. "Macroeconomics and the Wage Bargain: A Modern Approach to Employment, Inflation, and the Exchange Rate," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198772446, July.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:94:y:1980:i:4:p:731-47 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nav:ecupna:0101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Javier Puértolas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.