Market Integration, Competition and Welfare
The current debate on the likely impact of completion of the market in the European Community focuses crucially on the nature of the market structure. It has been suggested that 1992 will move an industry from a segmented-markets equilibrium to one in which the national markets are fully integrated. We examine the effects of this form of market completion on prices, consumer welfare and profits using a theoretical model augmented by numerical simulations. We find that the effects of market integration can change qualitatively, according to the assumptions made about demand, the barriers to trade and the degree of concentration in the market.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1991|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Other versions of this item:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- Hiemenz, Ulrich (Ed.) & Gundlach, Erich (Ed.), 1994. "Regional integration in Europe and its effects on developing countries," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 794, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Barros, Pedro Pita & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 1999.
"On the effects of antidumping legislation,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 53-72, January.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 1997. "On the Effects of Anti-dumping Legislation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1590, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, 2015. "Price-cost Margins and Economic Integration: How Important is the Pro-competitive Effect?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(5), pages 893-898, 05.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, "undated". "Price-Cost Margins and Economic Integration: How Important is the Pro-Competitive Effect?," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 04-02, FEDEA.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, 2004. "Price-Cost Margins and Economic Integration: How Important is the Pro-Competitive Effect?," Working Papers 04-02, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Antonio G. Gómez-Plana, 2004. "Price-cost margins and economic integration: How important is the pro-competitive effect?," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/62, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Rikard Forslid & Jan Haaland, 1995. "Investment Creation and Investment Diversion: Simulation Analysis of theSingle Market Programme," NBER Working Papers 5364, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, R.E. & Forslid, R. & Haaland, J.I., 1995. "Investment Creation and Investment Diversion: Simulation Analysis of the Single Market Programme," Papers 23/95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Baldwin, Richard & Forslid, Rikard & Haaland, Jan I., 1995. "Investment Creation and Investment Diversion: Simulation Analysis of the Single Market Programme," CEPR Discussion Papers 1308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Haaland & Ian Wooton, 1998. "Antidumping jumping: Reciprocal antidumping and industrial location," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 134(2), pages 340-362, June.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Wooton, Ian, 1996. "Anti-dumping jumping: Reciprocal anti-dumping and industrial location," Discussion Papers, Series II 310, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Gaussens, Olivier & Lecostey, Sophie & Simon, Geoffray, 2011. "Intégration internationale et concurrence effective : quelques apports de la théorie de l’oligopole," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 87(4), pages 481-502, décembre.
- Azita Amjadi & L. Alan Winters & Alexander Yeats, 1995. "Transport Costs and Economic Integration in the Americas," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 131(III), pages 465-488, September.
- Johannes Bröcker & Martin Schneider, 2002. "How Does Economic Development in Eastern Europe Affect Austria's Regions? A Multiregional General Equilibrium Framework," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 257-285.
- Bröcker, Johannes & Schneider, Martin, 1999. "How does economic development in eastern Europe affect Austria's regions? A multiregional general equilibrium framework," Discussion Papers 1/99, Technische Universität Dresden, "Friedrich List" Faculty of Transport and Traffic Sciences, Institute of Transport and Economics.
- Mukunoki, Hiroshi, 2004. "On the optimal external tariff of a free trade area with internal market integration," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 431-448, December.
- Jean Mercenier & Bernardin Akitoby, 1993. "On intertemporal general-equilibrium reallocation effects of Europe's move to a single market," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 87, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mercenier, J. & Akitoby, B., 1994. "On Intertemporal General-Equilibrium Reallocation Effects of Europe's Move to a Single Market," Cahiers de recherche 9401, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Mercenier, J. & Akitoby, B., 1994. "On Intertemporal General-Equilibrium Reallocation Effects of Europe's Move to a Single Market," Cahiers de recherche 9401, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Anders Hoffmann, 2000. "The gains from partial completion of the single market," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 136(4), pages 601-630, December.
- Willenbockel, Dirk, 2004. "Specification choice and robustness in CGE trade policy analysis with imperfect competition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1065-1099, December.
- Olivier Cortès & Sébastien Jean, 1996. "Pays émergents, emploi déficient ?," Working Papers 1996-05, CEPII research center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:574. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed