On the Effects of Anti-dumping Legislation
We show that the nature and extent of trade is significantly affected by the pricing policy that firms are allowed to employ. A switch from discriminatory to non-discriminatory pricing (e.g. strict anti-dumping laws) leads to a switch from two-way trade to one-way trade. It is far from true that consumers will necessarily be favoured by such a policy switch. The distribution of gains is also significantly affected by relative country size.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Anderson, S. & Schmitt, N. & Thisse, J.F., 1992.
"Who Benifits from Antidumping Legislation?,"
dp92-12, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Anderson, S. P. & Schmitt, N. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Who benefits from antidumping legislation?," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1146, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Schmitt, Nicolas & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1992. "Who Benefits from Antidumping Legislation?," CEPR Discussion Papers 731, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John, 1993.
"Price Discrimination, Competition and Regulation,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 335-59, December.
- Tharakan, P K M, 1995. "Political Economy and Contingent Protection," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1550-64, November.
- Garella, Paolo G. & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 1989. "Price competition in markets for dichotomous substitutes," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 357-367.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 1991.
"Market Integration, Competition, and Welfare,"
499, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Neven, Damien J & Phlips, Louis, 1985.
"Discriminating Oligopolists and Common Markets,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 133-49, December.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "International trade in the presence of product differentiation, economies of scale and monopolistic competition : A Chamberlin-Heckscher-Ohlin approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-340, August.
- Messerlin, Patrick A & Reed, Geoffrey, 1995. "Antidumping Policies in the United States and the European Community," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1565-75, November.
- Norman, Victor D., 1990. "Assessing trade and welfare effects of trade liberalization : A comparison of alternative approaches to CGE modelling with imperfect competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 725-745, June.
- Warren J Bilkey & Erik Nes, 1982. "Country-of-Origin Effects on Product Evaluations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 13(1), pages 89-100, March.
- Nicolas Schmitt, 1990. "Two-Country Trade Liberalization in an Address Model of Product Differentiation," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(3), pages 654-75, August.
- Massimo Motta & Fabrizio Onida, 1997. "Trade Policy and Competition Policy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 56(1-2), pages 67-97, June.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1994. "Tariffs and Subsidies with Price Competition and Integrated Markets: The Mixed Strategy Equilibria," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Norman, George & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996. "Product Variety and Welfare under Tough and Soft Pricing Regimes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 76-91, January.
- D. Neven & G. Norman & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 1991. "Attitudes toward Foreign Products and International Price Competition," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 1-11, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:1590. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.