On the Effects of Anti-dumping Legislation
We show that the nature and extent of trade is significantly affected by the pricing policy that firms are allowed to employ. A switch from discriminatory to non-discriminatory pricing (e.g. strict anti-dumping laws) leads to a switch from two-way trade to one-way trade. It is far from true that consumers will necessarily be favoured by such a policy switch. The distribution of gains is also significantly affected by relative country size.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmitt, Nicolas & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1992.
"Who Benefits from Antidumping Legislation?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
731, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D. Neven & G. Norman & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 1991. "Attitudes toward Foreign Products and International Price Competition," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Garella, Paolo G. & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 1989. "Price competition in markets for dichotomous substitutes," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 357-367.
- Haaland, J.I. & Wooton, I., 1991.
"Market Integration, Competition, and Welfare,"
499, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Neven, Damien J & Phlips, Louis, 1985.
"Discriminating Oligopolists and Common Markets,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 133-49, December.
- Messerlin, Patrick A & Reed, Geoffrey, 1995. "Antidumping Policies in the United States and the European Community," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1565-75, November.
- Norman, George & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996. "Product Variety and Welfare under Tough and Soft Pricing Regimes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 76-91, January.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Nicolas Schmitt, 1990. "Two-Country Trade Liberalization in an Address Model of Product Differentiation," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(3), pages 654-75, August.
- Norman, Victor D., 1990. "Assessing trade and welfare effects of trade liberalization : A comparison of alternative approaches to CGE modelling with imperfect competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 725-745, June.
- Massimo Motta & Fabrizio Onida, 1997. "Trade Policy and Competition Policy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 56(1-2), pages 67-97, June.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1994. "Tariffs and Subsidies with Price Competition and Integrated Markets: The Mixed Strategy Equilibria," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Warren J Bilkey & Erik Nes, 1982. "Country-of-Origin Effects on Product Evaluations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 13(1), pages 89-100, March.
- Armstrong, M. & Vickers, J., 1992.
"Price Discrimination, Competition and Regulation,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99140, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Tharakan, P K M, 1995. "Political Economy and Contingent Protection," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1550-64, November.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "International trade in the presence of product differentiation, economies of scale and monopolistic competition : A Chamberlin-Heckscher-Ohlin approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-340, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:1590. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.