Monetary/Fiscal Policy Mix and Agents' Beliefs
AbstractA micro-founded model that allows for changes in the monetary/fiscal policy mix and in the volatility of structural shocks is fit to US data. Agents are aware of the possibility of regime changes and their beliefs have an impact on the law of motion of the macroeconomy. The results show that the '60s and the '70s were characterized by a prolonged period of active scal policy and passive monetary policy. The appointment of Volcker marked a change in the conduct of monetary policy, but it took almost ten years for the fiscal authority to start accomodating this regime change. Counterfactual simulations show that if the active monetary/passive fiscal regime had been in place during the '70s, inflation would have been significantly lower. This result differs from previous ones obtained in the literature and suggests that modeling the fiscal/monetary policy interaction might be very important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2011 Meeting Papers with number 156.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leeper, Eric M., 1991. "Equilibria under 'active' and 'passive' monetary and fiscal policies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 129-147, February.
- Saroj Bhattarai & Jae Won Lee & Woong Yong Park, 2012.
"Policy regimes, policy shifts, and U.S. business cycles,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
109, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Woong Yong Park & Jae Won Lee & Saroj Bhattarai, 2012. "Policy Regimes, Policy Shifts, and U.S. Business Cycles," 2012 Meeting Papers 287, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Francesco Bianchi & Leonardo Melosi, 2013.
"Dormant Shocks and Fiscal Virtue,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2013, Volume 28, pages 1-46
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Bianchi & Leonardo Melosi, 2013. "Dormant Shocks and Fiscal Virtue," PIER Working Paper Archive 13-032, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Francesco Bianchi & Leonardo Melosi, 2013. "Dormant Shocks and Fiscal Virtue," Working Papers 13-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Leonardo Melosi & Francesco Bianchi, 2012. "Dormant Shocks and Fiscal Virtue," 2012 Meeting Papers 44, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- De Graeve, Ferre & Queijo von Heideken, Virginia, 2013. "Identifying Fiscal Inflation," Working Paper Series 273, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Kliem, Martin & Kriwoluzky, Alexander & Sarferaz, Samad, 2013.
"On the low-frequency relationship between public deficits and inflation,"
12/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Kriwoluzky, Alexander & Kliem, Martin & Sarferaz, Samad, 2013. "On the low-frequency relationship between public deficits and inflation," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 80000, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Saroj Bhattarai & Jae Won Lee & Woong Yong Park, 2013.
"Inflation Dynamics: The Role of Public Debt and Policy Regimes,"
CAMA Working Papers
2013-75, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Saroj Bhattarai & Jae Won Lee & Woong Yong Park, 2012. "Inflation dynamics: the role of public debt and policy regimes," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 124, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Woong Yong Park & Jae Won Lee & Saroj Bhattarai, 2013. "Inflation Dynamics: The Role of Public Debt and Policy Regimes," 2013 Meeting Papers 359, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Eric M. Leeper, 2013.
"Fiscal Limits and Monetary Policy,"
Central Bank Review,
Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 13(2), pages 33-58.
- Amir-Ahmadi, Pooyan & Matthes, Christian & Wang, Mu-Chun, 2014. "Drifts, Volatilities, and Impulse Responses Over the Last Century," Working Paper 14-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.