Stability of supply function equilibria implications for daily versus hourly bids in a poolco market
AbstractWe consider a supply function model of a poolco electricity market where demand varies significantly over a time horizon such as a day and also has a small responsiveness to price. Although there are equilibria yielding prices at peak that are close to Cournot prices, it is known that the wider the range of demand uncertainty the narrower the range of such supply function equilibria. Here we show that such equilibria are also typically unstable and consequently would be difficult to sustain in practice. This strengthens the results of Green and Newbery by ruling out many equilibria that have high prices. We demonstrate this result both theoretically under somewhat restrictive assumptions and also numerically using both a three-firm example system and a five-firm example system having generation capacity constraints. Hence, this reinforces the conclusion that the market outcome is significantly influenced by a requirement that offers into the poolco be consistent over the time horizon. This result contrasts with markets where bids can be changed on an hourly basis, where Cournot prices are possible outcomes. The stability analysis has important policy implications for the design of day-ahead electricity markets. The stability perspective also provides a narrowing of the equilibrium selection that strengthens empirical analysis. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
Stability of equilibrium; Oligopoly models; Electricity markets; Supply function equilibrium; C62; D43; D58; L13; L51; L94;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Federico Boffa & Viswanath Pingali, 2008.
"MIncreasing Market Interconnection: an analysis of the Italian Electricity Spot Market,"
17-2008, Macerata University, Department of Studies on Economic Development (DiSSE), revised Nov 2008.
- Boffa, Federico & Pingali, Viswanath & Vannoni, Davide, 2010. "Increasing market interconnection: An analysis of the Italian electricity spot market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 311-322, May.
- Federico Boffa & Viswanath Pingali & Davide Vannoni, 2009. "Increasing Market Interconnection: An analysis of the Italian Electricity Spot Market," Working papers 4, Former Department of Economics and Public Finance "G. Prato", University of Torino.
- Vives, Xavier, 2008.
"Strategic supply function competition with private information,"
IESE Research Papers
D/774, IESE Business School.
- Xavier Vives, 2011. "Strategic Supply Function Competition With Private Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(6), pages 1919-1966, November.
- Xavier Vives, 2008. "Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information," CESifo Working Paper Series 2410, CESifo Group Munich.
- Xavier Vives, 2009. "Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1736, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Xavier Vives, 2009. "Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information," CESifo Working Paper Series 2856, CESifo Group Munich.
- Vives, Xavier, 2008. "Strategic Supply Function Competition with Private Information," CEPR Discussion Papers 6960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Crawford, Gregory S. & Crespo, Joseph & Tauchen, Helen, 2007. "Bidding asymmetries in multi-unit auctions: Implications of bid function equilibria in the British spot market for electricity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1233-1268, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.