Gender differences in business success of German start-up firms
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Sandra Gottschalk & Michaela Niefert, 2013. "Gender differences in business success of German start-up firms," International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 18(1), pages 15-46.
References listed on IDEAS
- Du Rietz, Anita & Henrekson, Magnus, 2000. "Testing the Female Underperformance Hypothesis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 1-10, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michaela Niefert & Sandra Gottschalk, 2014.
"Gründerinnen auf dem Vormarsch? – Die Entwicklung der Beteiligung von Frauen am Gründungsgeschehen,"
AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv, Springer;Deutsche Statistische Gesellschaft - German Statistical Society, vol. 8(3), pages 115-145, September.
- Niefert, Michaela & Gottschalk, Sandra, 2013. "Gründerinnen auf dem Vormarsch? Die Entwicklung der Beteiligung von Frauen am Gründungsgeschehen," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-085, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Günterberg, Brigitte & Kay, Rosemarie, 2018. "Existenzgründungen von ausländischen Staatsbürgern: Aktualisierung 2018," Daten und Fakten 20, Institut für Mittelstandsforschung (IfM) Bonn.
- Marilyn Young & John James Cater & Kevin James, 2019. "Examining Barriers To Success And Sources Of Assistance For U.S. Hispanic Female Entrepreneurs," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 24(02), pages 1-22, June.
- Andreas Koch & Jochen Späth & Harald Strotmann, 2013. "The role of employees for post-entry firm growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 733-755, October.
- Marcus Box & Tommy Larsson Segerlind, 2018. "Entrepreneurial Teams, Gender, and New Venture Survival: Contexts and Institutions," SAGE Open, , vol. 8(2), pages 21582440187, May.
- Brixiova, Zuzana & Kangoye, Thierry, 2016.
"Start-Up Capital and Women's Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Swaziland,"
IZA Discussion Papers
10279, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Zuzana Brixiová & Thierry Kangoye, 2016. "Start-Up Capital and Women's Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Swaziland," SALDRU Working Papers 192, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Lechmann, Daniel S. J. & Schnabel, Claus, 2012.
"What Explains the Gender Earnings Gap in Self-Employment? A Decomposition Analysis with German Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6435, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Lechmann, Daniel S. J. & Schnabel, Claus, 2012. "What explains the gender earnings gap in self-employment? A decomposition analysis with German data," Discussion Papers 77, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Kuncová, M. & Hedija, V. & Fiala, R., 2016. "Firm Size as a Determinant of Firm Performance: The Case of Swine Raising," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 8(3), pages 1-13, September.
- Daniel Lechmann & Claus Schnabel, 2012. "Why is there a gender earnings gap in self-employment? A decomposition analysis with German data," IZA Journal of European Labor Studies, Springer;Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit GmbH (IZA), vol. 1(1), pages 1-25, December.
- AMOROSO Sara & AUDRETSCH David, 2020. "The role of gender in linking external sources of knowledge and R&D intensity," JRC Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2020-05, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Domenico Depalo & Francesca Lotti, 2013. "Firms and gender: performance differentials between male and female firms," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 184, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Irani Arráiz, 2018. "Time to share the load: gender differences in household responsibilities and business profitability," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 57-84, June.
- Nguyen, Thi Hong Hanh & Ntim, Collins G. & Malagila, John K., 2020. "Women on corporate boards and corporate financial and non-financial performance: A systematic literature review and future research agenda," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(C).
- Kay, Rosemarie & Günterberg, Brigitte, 2015. "Existenzgründungen von ausländischen Staatsbürgern," Daten und Fakten 15, Institut für Mittelstandsforschung (IfM) Bonn.
- Abdul Basit & Zubair Hassan & Sharmila Sethumadhavan, 2021. "Entrepreneurial Success: Key Challenges Faced by Malaysian Women Entrepreneurs in 21st Century," International Journal of Business and Management, Canadian Center of Science and Education, vol. 15(9), pages 122-122, July.
- Robert Rieg, 2019. "Selbstständigkeit von Bilanzbuchhaltern und Controllern: Eine empirische Untersuchung zu Einkommen und Determinanten," ZfKE – Zeitschrift für KMU und Entrepreneurship, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 67(1), pages 35-66.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Justo, Rachida & DeTienne, Dawn R. & Sieger, Philipp, 2015. "Failure or voluntary exit? Reassessing the female underperformance hypothesis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 775-792.
- María Victoria Uribe‐Bohorquez & Jennifer Martínez‐Ferrero & Isabel‐María García‐Sánchez, 2019. "Women on boards and efficiency in a business‐orientated environment," Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 26(1), pages 82-96, January.
- Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers & Ingrid Verheul & David Audretsch, 2001.
"An eclectic theory of entrepreneurship: policies, institutions and culture,"
Scales Research Reports
H200012, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Ingrid Verheul & Sander Wennekers & David Audretsch & Roy Thurik, 2001. "An Eclectic Theory of Entrepreneurship: Policies, Institutions and Culture," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-030/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Aidis, Ruta & Wetzels, Cécile, 2007. "Self-Employment and Parenthood: Exploring the Impact of Partners, Children and Gender," IZA Discussion Papers 2813, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Marcén, Miriam, 2013. "The effect of culture on self-employment," MPRA Paper 47338, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo Andrés ZAPATA HUAMANÍ & Sara FERNÁNDEZ LÓPEZ & Isabel NEIRA GÓMEZ & Lucía REY ARES, 2017. "THE ROLE OF THE ENTREPRENEUR IN NEW TECHNOLOGY-BASED FIRMS (NTBFs): AN ANALYSIS ACCORDING TO CONTEXT DEVELOPMENT," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 17(2), pages 25-42.
- Parrotta, Pierpaolo & Smith, Nina, 2013.
"Female-Led Firms: Performance and Risk Attitudes,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7613, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Pierpaolo Parrotta & Nina Smith, 2014. "Female-led firms: Performance and risk attitudes," Post-Print hal-01513946, HAL.
- Pierpaolo Parrotta & Nina Smith, 2014. "Female-led firms: Performance and risk attitude," Post-Print hal-01513940, HAL.
- Pierpaolo Parrotta & Nina Smith, 2014. "Female-led firms: Performance and risk attitude," Post-Print hal-01513939, HAL.
- Fardous Alom & Moha Asri Abdullah & Abdul Rashid Moten & S. M. Ferdous Azam, 2016. "Success factors of overall improvement of microenterprises in Malaysia: an empirical study," Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, Springer;UNESCO Chair in Entrepreneurship, vol. 6(1), pages 1-13, December.
- Elert, Niklas & Sjöö, Karolin & Wennberg, Karl, 2020. "When Less Is More: Why Limited Entrepreneurship Education May Result in Better Entrepreneurial Outcomes," Working Paper Series 1322, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Grilo, I. & Thurik, A.R., 2004.
"Determinants Of Entrepreneurship In Europe,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2004-106-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Isabel Grilo & Roy Thurik, 2004. "Determinants of entrepreneurship in Europe," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-30, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Hoang, Tuyen Thanh & Nguyen, Cuong Viet & Van Tran, Hoa Thi, 2019. "Are female CEOs more risk averse than male counterparts? Evidence from Vietnam," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 57-74.
- Rafik Abdesselam & Jean Bonnet & Nicolas Le Pape, 2004.
"An Explanation of the Life Span of New French Firms,"
Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 237-254, October.
- Rafik Abdesselam & Jean Bonnet & Nicolas Le Pape, 2004. "An Explanation of the Life Span of New French Firms," Post-Print hal-02937310, HAL.
- Rafik Abdesselam & Jean Bonnet & Nicolas Le Pape, 2004. "An Explanation of the Life Span of New French Firms," Post-Print hal-00149371, HAL.
- Ayala, Juan-Carlos & Manzano, Guadalupe, 2014. "The resilience of the entrepreneur. Influence on the success of the business. A longitudinal analysis," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 126-135.
- Barbara Orser & Allan Riding & Julie Weeks, 2019. "The efficacy of gender-based federal procurement policies in the United States," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 491-515, August.
- Petia Topalova & Lone Engbo Christiansen & Ms. Joana Pereira & Ms. Huidan Huidan Lin & Rima Turk, 2016. "Gender Diversity in Senior Positions and Firm Performance: Evidence from Europe," IMF Working Papers 2016/050, International Monetary Fund.
- Ana Tur-Porcar & Alicia Mas-Tur & José Antonio Belso, 2017. "Barriers to women entrepreneurship. Different methods, different results?," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 51(5), pages 2019-2034, September.
- Dautzenberg, Kirsti & Müller-Seitz, Gordon, 2011. "Technologieorientierte Unternehmensgründungen als Männerdomäne?," Die Unternehmung - Swiss Journal of Business Research and Practice, Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG, vol. 65(3), pages 238-262.
- Pueyo, Ana & Carreras, Marco & Ngoo, Gisela, 2020. "Exploring the linkages between energy, gender, and enterprise: Evidence from Tanzania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 128(C).
- Sabarwal, Shwetlena & Terrell, Katherine, 2008.
"Does Gender Matter for Firm Performance? Evidence from Eastern Europe and Central Asia,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3758, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Shwetlena Sabarwal & Katherine Terrell, 2016. "Does Gender Matter for Firm Performance? Evidence from Eastern Europe and Central Asia," Working Papers id:8461, eSocialSciences.
- Sabarwal, Shwetlena & Terrell, Katherine, 2008. "Does gender matter for firm performance ? evidence from Eastern Europe and Central Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4705, The World Bank.
- Helene Ahl & Karin Berglund & Katarina Pettersson & Malin Tillmar, 2016. "From feminism to FemInc.ism: On the uneasy relationship between feminism, entrepreneurship and the Nordic welfare state," International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 369-392, June.
More about this item
Keywordsstart-ups; performance; gender; female entrepreneurship;
All these keywords.
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ENT-2011-04-30 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-EUR-2011-04-30 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-SBM-2011-04-30 (Small Business Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:11019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/zemande.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/zemande.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.