Timing and determinants of local residential broadband adoption: evidence from Ireland
This paper tests whether households that are offered broadband service for the first time tend to delay in taking it up. Using cross-sectional data on broadband take-up and socioeconomic characteristics of small areas in Ireland, linked to GIS data on ADSL availability, I find that local adoption rates are positively associated with the time elapsed since service was first offered. The strength of this association increases for the first two years after local enabling of service and then decreases to zero after about five years. The paper also includes estimates of the effect of various household characteristics on adoption, finding effects broadly consistent with previous literature. Simultaneity in demand and supply are addressed using 2SLS regression. Further research will be needed to explain the mechanisms behind lags in adoption behaviour, but those evaluating investments or subsidies in broadband infrastructure should such take lags into account.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kuhn, Peter & Skuterud, Mikal Skuterud, 2002.
"Internet Job Search and Unemployment Durations,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt8583s24x, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Victor Glass & Stela Stefanova, 2010. "An empirical study of broadband diffusion in rural America," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 70-85, August.
- Lyons, Seán & Savage, Michael, 2012.
"Choice, Price and Service Characteristics in the Irish Broadband Market,"
WP435, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- SeÃ¡n Lyons & Michael Savage, 2013. "Choice, price and service characteristics in the Irish broadband market," International Journal of Management and Network Economics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(1), pages 1-21.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-32, Nov.-Dec..
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Prieger, 2003.
"The Supply Side of the Digital Divide: Is There Equal Availability in the Broadband Internet Access Market?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(2), pages 346-363, April.
- James E. Prieger, 2003. "The Supply Side of the Digital Divide: Is There Equal Availability in the Broadband Internet Access Market?," Working Papers 25, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Savage, Scott J. & Waldman, Donald, 2005. "Broadband Internet access, awareness, and use: Analysis of United States household data," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 615-633, September.
- Seán Lyons & Karen Mayor & Richard S.J. Tol, 2008. "Environmental Accounts for the Republic of Ireland: 1990-2005," Papers WP223, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Prieger, James E. & Hu, Wei-Min, 2008. "The broadband digital divide and the nexus of race, competition, and quality," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 150-167, June.
- Brian E. Whitacre & Bradford F. Mills, 2007. "Infrastructure and the Ruralâ€”urban Divide in High-speed Residential Internet Access," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 30(3), pages 249-273, July.
- Savage, Scott James & Waldman, Donald M., 2009. "Ability, location and household demand for Internet bandwidth," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 166-174, March.
- Billon, Margarita & Marco, Rocio & Lera-Lopez, Fernando, 0. "Disparities in ICT adoption: A multidimensional approach to study the cross-country digital divide," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10-11), pages 596-610, November.
- Frances Ruane & Xiaoheng Zhang, 2007. "Location Choices of the Pharmaceutical Industry in Europe after 1992," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp220, IIIS.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse10:24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.