Sturm und Drang in money market funds: when money market funds cease to be narrow
This paper investigates the returns and flows of German money market funds before and during the liquidity crisis of 2007/2008. The main findings of this paper are: In liquid times money market funds enhanced their returns by investing in less liquid papers. By doing so they outperformed other funds as long as liquidity in the market was high. Investing in less liquid assets, however, widens the narrow structure of money market funds and makes them vulnerable to runs. During the shortening of liquidity caused by the subprime crisis illiquid funds experienced runs, while more liquid funds functioned as a safe haven.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0 69 / 95 66 - 34 55
Fax: 0 69 / 95 66 30 77
Web page: http://www.bundesbank.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Gary D. Koppenhaver, 1999. "Circle unbroken: bank-affiliated money market mutual funds," Proceedings 613, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Acharya, Viral V & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2004.
"Asset Pricing with Liquidity Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4718, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- G. Koppenhaver & Travis Sapp, 2005. "Money Funds or Markets? Valuing Intermediary Services," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 51-76, February.
- William N. Goetzmann & Stephen J. Brown, 2005.
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm451, Yale School of Management.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Titman, Sheridan, 1992. " The Persistence of Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1977-84, December.
- Susan E. K. Christoffersen & David K. Musto, 2002.
"Demand Curves and the Pricing of Money Management,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(5), pages 1499-1524.
- Geoffrey P. Miller, 1998. "On the Obsolescence of Commercial Banking," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 154(1), pages 61-, March.
- Pennacchi, George, 2006. "Deposit insurance, bank regulation, and financial system risks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Brown, Stephen J, et al, 1992. "Survivorship Bias in Performance Studies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(4), pages 553-80.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Engström, Stefan & Söderlind, Paul, 2000.
"Performance and Characteristics of Swedish Mutual Funds,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 409-423, September.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Engström, Stefan & Söderlind, Paul, 1999. "Performance and Characteristics of Swedish Mutual Funds," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 312, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 25 Nov 1999.
- Chen, Qi & Goldstein, Itay & Jiang, Wei, 2010. "Payoff complementarities and financial fragility: Evidence from mutual fund outflows," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 239-262, August.
- Marcin Kacperczyk & Philipp Schnabl, 2013. "How Safe Are Money Market Funds?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 128(3), pages 1073-1122.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Jenke Ter Horst & Marno Verbeek, 2000.
"Estimating Short-Run Persistence In Mutual Fund Performance,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 646-655, November.
- Ter Horst, J.R. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 1997. "Estimating short-run persistence in mutual fund performance," Discussion Paper 97.21, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bhargava, Rahul & Dubofsky, David A., 2001. "A note on fair value pricing of mutual funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 339-354, February.
- Lyon, Andrew B, 1984. " Money Market Funds and Shareholder Dilution," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1011-20, September.
- van den End, Jan Willem & Tabbae, Mostafa, 2012.
"When liquidity risk becomes a systemic issue: Empirical evidence of bank behaviour,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 107-120.
- Jan Willem van den End & Mostafa Tabbae, 2009. "When liquidity risk becomes a macro-prudential issue: Empirical evidence of bank behaviour," DNB Working Papers 230, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Coval, Joshua & Stafford, Erik, 2007.
"Asset fire sales (and purchases) in equity markets,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 479-512, November.
- Joshua D. Coval & Erik Stafford, 2005. "Asset Fire Sales (and Purchases) in Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 11357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erik R. Sirri & Peter Tufano, 1998. "Costly Search and Mutual Fund Flows," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1589-1622, October.
- Chari, V V & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1988. " Banking Panics, Information, and Rational Expectations Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 749-61, July.
- Nanda, Vikram & Narayanan, M. P. & Warther, Vincent A., 2000. "Liquidity, investment ability, and mutual fund structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 417-443, September.
- Bengtsson, Elias, 2013. "Shadow banking and financial stability: European money market funds in the global financial crisis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 579-594.
- William Miles, 2001. "Can money market mutual funds provide sufficient liquidity to replace deposit insurance?," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 328-342, September.
- Jacklin, Charles J & Bhattacharya, Sudipto, 1988. "Distinguishing Panics and Information-Based Bank Runs: Welfare and Policy Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(3), pages 568-92, June.
- Joseph Chen & Harrison Hong & Ming Huang & Jeffrey D. Kubik, 2004. "Does Fund Size Erode Mutual Fund Performance? The Role of Liquidity and Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1276-1302, December.
- Jonathan B. Berk & Ian Tonks, 2007. "Return Persistence and Fund Flows in the Worst Performing Mutual Funds," NBER Working Papers 13042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greene, Jason T. & Hodges, Charles W. & Rakowski, David A., 2007. "Daily mutual fund flows and redemption policies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3822-3842, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bubdp2:200820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.