Shadow banking and financial stability: European money market funds in the global financial crisis
When the troubles in the subprime markets began surfacing 2007, developments unfolded rapidly in the European MMF industry. The industry suffered from asset price drops and investor redemptions. But the difficulties of the MMF industry also spread to the banking sector and contributed to general financial instability that prevailed in 2007–2009. In this article, we describe the main events and developments of the European MMF industry during the global financial crisis. Based on these observations, we analyse the transmission channels through which financial instability may spread from the MMF sector to the wider financial system. Insofar, our article contributes to the understanding of how other financial intermediaries and shadow banking may affect financial stability. A number of policy conclusions on shadow banking and financial stability are also provided.
Volume (Year): 32 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30443|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franklin Allen & Ana Babus & Elena Carletti, 2009. "Financial Crises: Theory and Evidence," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 97-116, November.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"The Limits of Arbitrage,"
NBER Working Papers
5167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer ad Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "The Limits of Arbitrage," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1725, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jank, Stephan & Wedow, Michael, 2010.
"Sturm und Drang in money market funds: When money market funds cease to be narrow,"
CFR Working Papers
10-16, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Jank, Stephan & Wedow, Michael, 2015. "Sturm und Drang in money market funds: When money market funds cease to be narrow," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 16(C), pages 59-70.
- Jank, Stephan & Wedow, Michael, 2008. "Sturm und Drang in money market funds: when money market funds cease to be narrow," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2008,20, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hyun Song Shin & Stephen Morris, 2004.
"Liquidity Black Holes,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
644, Econometric Society.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2003. "Liquidity Black Holes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1434, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2004. "Liquidity Black Holes," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm425, Yale School of Management.
- Hyun Song Shin & Stephen Morris, 2004. "Liquidity Black Holes," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 620, Econometric Society.
- Peter Hördahl & Michael R King, 2008. "Developments in repo markets during the financial turmoil," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, pages -, December.
- Klapper, Leora & Sulla, Victor & Vittas, Dimitri, 2004. "The development of mutual funds around the world," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-38, March.
- Lucia Quaglia & Robert Eastwood & Peter Holmes, 2009. "The Financial Turmoil and EU Policy Co-operation in 2008," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47, pages 63-87, 09.
- Nanda, Vikram & Narayanan, M. P. & Warther, Vincent A., 2000. "Liquidity, investment ability, and mutual fund structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 417-443, September.
- Kenneth E. Scott, 1998. "Mutual Funds as an Alternative Banking System," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 154(1), pages 86-86, March.
- Longstaff, Francis A., 2010. "The subprime credit crisis and contagion in financial markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 436-450, September.
- Claudio Borio, 2010.
"Ten propositions about liquidity crises,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 56(1), pages 70-95, March.
- Naohiko Baba & Robert N McCauley & Srichander Ramaswamy, 2009. "US dollar money market funds and non-US banks," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, pages -, March.
- Pozsar, Zoltan & Adrian, Tobias & Ashcraft, Adam B. & Boesky, Hayley, 2013.
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Dec, pages 1-16.
- Gerald P. Dwyer & Paula A. Tkac, 2009.
"The financial crisis of 2008 in fixed income markets,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
2009-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Dwyer, Gerald P. & Tkac, Paula, 2009. "The financial crisis of 2008 in fixed-income markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1293-1316, December.
- William Miles, 2001. "Can money market mutual funds provide sufficient liquidity to replace deposit insurance?," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 25(3), pages 328-342, September.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2009. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Hirshleifer, David & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar & Titman, Sheridan, 2002.
"Feedback and the Success of Irrational Investors,"
University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management
qt2b82s539, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Gary Gorton & George Pennacchi, 1991.
"Security Baskets and Index-Linked Securities,"
NBER Working Papers
3711, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George Pennacchi & Gary Gorton, . "Security Baskets and Index-Linked Securities," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 29-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gary Gorton, 2009.
"Information, Liquidity, and the (Ongoing) Panic of 2007,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 567-572, May.
- Gary B. Gorton, 2009. "Information, Liquidity, and the (Ongoing) Panic of 2007," NBER Working Papers 14649, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2011.
"Over the Cliff: From the Subprime to the Global Financial Crisis,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 49-70, Winter.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2010. "Over The Cliff: From the Subprime to the Global Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudio E. V. Borio, 2004. "Market distress and vanishing liquidity: anatomy and policy options," BIS Working Papers 158, Bank for International Settlements.
- Chernenko, Sergey & Sunderam, Adi, 2012. "The Quiet Run of 2011: Money Market Funds and the European Debt Crisis," Working Paper Series 2012-04, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Hyman P. Minsky, 1992. "The Financial Instability Hypothesis," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_74, Levy Economics Institute.
- Lyon, Andrew B, 1984. " Money Market Funds and Shareholder Dilution," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1011-1020, September.
- Pennacchi, George, 2006. "Deposit insurance, bank regulation, and financial system risks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-30, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:32:y:2013:i:c:p:579-594. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.