Changes in Industrial Concentration in the Croatian Economy (1995-2006)
The aim of this paper is to obtain a better understanding of differences and dynamics of concentration across various industries in the Croatian economy in the period 1995-2006 in order to be able to foresee future trends. Shifts in concentration vary across industries in the Croatian economy. Concentration declines in approximately two fifths of the Croatian economy whereas one fifth of the Croatian economy shows a growing trend in concentration. In the remaining industries no changes in concentration occurred. The causes of concentration are as follows: (1) decline in concentration due to inadequate adjustments of leading firms to transition, (2) decline in concentration due to deregulation, (3) increase in concentration in industries targeted by multinational companies, and (4) increase in concentration in industries in which no significant new firms emerged following the unsuccessful privatization of leading firms.
|Date of creation:||22 Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Trg J.F.Kennedya 6, 10000 Zagreb|
Phone: +385 1 233-5633
Fax: +385 1 238-3333
Web page: http://www.efzg.hr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Lafourcade, Miren & Mion, Giordano, 2007.
"Concentration, agglomeration and the size of plants,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 46-68, January.
- Miren Lafourcade & Giordano Mion, 2007. "Concentration, Agglomeration and the Size of Plants," Post-Print halshs-00754253, HAL.
- LAFOURCADE, Miren & MION, Giordano, . "Concentration, agglomeration and the size of plants," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1963, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Miren Lafourcade & Giordano Mion, 2005. "Concentration, agglomeration and the size of plants," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590572, HAL.
- Miren Lafourcade & Giordano Mion, 2007. "Concentration, agglomeration and the size of plants," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 42666, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Darko Tipuric, 2002. "Is There Relationship between Firm Size and Profitability?," Zagreb International Review of Economics and Business, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb, vol. 5(Special C), pages 139-154, December.
- Kattuman, Paul A & Newbery, David M G, 1992.
"Market Concentration and Competition in Eastern Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
664, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David M. Newbery & Paul Kattuman, 1992. "Market Concentration and Competition in Eastern Europe," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 315-334, 05.
- Sen, Anindya, 2003. "Higher prices at Canadian gas pumps: international crude oil prices or local market concentration? An empirical investigation," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 269-288, May.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Gneezy, Uri, 2000.
"Price competition and market concentration: an experimental study,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 7-22, January.
- Dufwenberg, M. & Gneezy, U., 1998. "Price Competition and Market COncentration: An Experimental Study," Papers 1998-08, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Gneezy, Uri, 1999. "Price Competition and Market Concentration: An experimental Study," Research Papers in Economics 1999:4, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Gneezy, Uri, 1998. "Price Competition and Market Concentration: An Experimental Study," Working Paper Series 1998:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- André Sapir, 1996. "The effects of Europe's international market program on production and trade: a first assessment," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8162, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Matthaios D. Delis & Christos K. Staikouras, 2006.
"Determinants of Bank Profitability in the South Eastern European Region,"
47, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Delis, Manthos & Staikouras, Christos, 2006. "Determinants Of Bank Profitability In The South Eastern European Region," MPRA Paper 10274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brozen, Yale, 1971. "Bain's Concentration and Rates of Return Revisited," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(2), pages 351-70, October.
- Bojan Moric Milovanovic & Fran Galetic, 2006. "Open-end investment funds in Croatia," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 30(1), pages 77-90.
- Sadowski, Bert M., 2000. "The myth of market dominance: telecommunication manufacturing in Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic -- a case study," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 323-345, May.
- Dennis Mueller & Burkhard Raunig, 1998.
"Heterogeneities within industries and structure-performance models,"
36, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Dennis Mueller & Burkhard Raunig, 1999. "Heterogeneities within Industries and Structure-Performance Models," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 303-320, December.
- O. De Jonghe & R. Vander Vennet, 2007.
"Competition versus Efficiency: What drives franchise values in European banking?,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
07/491, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- De Jonghe, Olivier & Vennet, Rudi Vander, 2008. "Competition versus efficiency: What drives franchise values in European banking?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1820-1835, September.
- Hennessy, David A. & Lapan, Harvey E., 2006.
"When Different Market Concentration Indices Agree,"
Staff General Research Papers
12550, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ken Roberts & Changcheng Zhou, 2000. "New Private Enterprises in Three Transitional Contexts: Central Europe, the Former Soviet Union and China," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 187-199.
- Kwoka, John E, Jr, 1981. "Does the Choice of Concentration Measure Really Matter?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 445-53, June.
- Peltzman, Sam, 1977.
"The Gains and Losses from Industrial Concentration,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(2), pages 229-63, October.
- Sam Peltzman, 1977. "The Gains and Losses From Industrial Concentration," NBER Working Papers 0163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zag:wpaper:0903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WPS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.