Uncertainty and the measurement of productivity
The purpose of this paper is to provide an empirically implementable framework for the analysis of the effects of uncertainty on firm behavior. In particular, the paper provides a model which can be used to calculate productivity growth for firms facing uncertainty and to decompose the growth in total factor productivity into its various components. It can also be used to identify the contributions of uncertainty and risk aversion. Applying the model to the U.S. textile industry, we find that price uncertainty had a small effect on productivity growth. The refereeing process of this paper was handled through M. Brown.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (416) 736-5083
Fax: (416) 736-5987
Web page: http://dept.econ.yorku.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elie Appelbaum & Ulrich Kohli, 1997.
"Import Price Uncertainty And The Distribution Of Income,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 620-630, November.
- Elie Appelbaum, 1996. "Import Price Uncertainty and the Distribution of Income," Working Papers 1996_10, York University, Department of Economics.
- Elie Appelbaum, 1999. "The Effects of Population Diversity on Productivity, Competitiveness and Employment," Working Papers 1999_15, York University, Department of Economics.
- Elie Appelbaum, 1996. "An Application of Duality under Uncertainty, Elie Appelbaum," Working Papers 1996_8, York University, Department of Economics.
- Blancard, Stephane & Boussemart, Jean-Philippe & Crainich, D. & Leleu, Herve, 2008.
"How can allocative inefficiency reveal risk preference? An empirical investigation on French wheat farms,"
2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium
44208, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & David Crainich & Hervé Leleu, 2008. "How can allocative inefficiency reveal risk preference? An empirical investigation on French wheat farms," Working Papers 2008-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Appelbaum, Elie & Kohli, Ulrich, 1998.
"Import-Price Uncertainty, Production Decisions, and Relative Factor Shares,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 345-60, August.
- Elie Appelbaum & Ulrich Kohli, 1997. "Import-Price Uncertainty, Production Decisions, and Relative Factor Shares," Working Papers 1997_4, York University, Department of Economics.
- Cliff Huang & Tsu-Tan Fu, 2009. "Uncertainty and total factor productivity in the Taiwanese banking industry," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(9), pages 753-766.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yca:wpaper:1997_5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Support)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.