Estimating the firm's demand and supply functions under uncertainty without expected utility
This paper extends the literature on firms’ behaviour under uncertainty by providing a simple framework for empirical analysis of general non-expected utility behaviour. We show that standard duality techniques can be used to derive and estimate demand and supply functions for non-expected utility maximizing firms. Moreover, the framework also provides a simple econometric test for a necessary condition for expected utility behaviour. In an empirical example we apply the model to the US Furniture and Fixtures industry and find that demand and supply functions retain all the usual “intuitive” properties. We test for expected utility behaviour and find that it cannot be rejected.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (416) 736-5083
Fax: (416) 736-5987
Web page: http://dept.econ.yorku.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Antonovitz, Frances & Roe, Terry L., 1984.
"A Theoretical And Empirical Approach To The Value Of Information In Risky Markets,"
13467, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Antonovitz, Frances & Roe, Terry, 1986. "A Theoretical and Empirical Approach to the Value of Information in Risky Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 105-14, February.
- Parantap Basu & Elie Appelbaum, 2004.
"A New Methodology For Studying The Equity Premium,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
72, Royal Economic Society.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
- Camerer, Colin F, 1989. " An Experimental Test of Several Generalized Utility Theories," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 61-104, April.
- Kreps, David M. & Porteus, Evan L., 1979. "Temporal von neumann-morgenstern and induced preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 81-109, February.
- Elie Appelbaum & Aman Ullah, 1996.
"Estimation of moments and production decisions under uncertainty,"
1996_9, York University, Department of Economics.
- Elie Appelbaum & Aman Ullah, 1997. "Estimation Of Moments And Production Decisions Under Uncertainty," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 631-637, November.
- Elie Appelbaum & Ulrich Kohli, 1997.
"Import Price Uncertainty And The Distribution Of Income,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 620-630, November.
- Elie Appelbaum, 1996. "Import Price Uncertainty and the Distribution of Income," Working Papers 1996_10, York University, Department of Economics.
- Machina, Mark J., 1984. "Temporal risk and the nature of induced preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 199-231, August.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
- Philippe Weil, 1990. "Nonexpected Utility in Macroeconomics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(1), pages 29-42.
- Mark J Machina, 1982.
""Expected Utility" Analysis without the Independence Axiom,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7650, David K. Levine.
- Machina, Mark J, 1982. ""Expected Utility" Analysis without the Independence Axiom," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 277-323, March.
- Aman Ullah, 1988. "Non-parametric Estimation of Econometric Functionals," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(3), pages 625-58, August.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1986. "Rational Choice and the Framing of Decisions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages S251-78, October.
- Fishburn, Peter C., 1983. "Transitive measurable utility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 293-317, December.
- Machina, Mark J, 1987. "Choice under Uncertainty: Problems Solved and Unsolved," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 121-54, Summer.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yca:wpaper:2000_5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Support)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.