Decentralisation and Poverty Reduction: A Conceptual Framework for the Economic Impact
This paper contributes to providing insights into the impact of decentralisation on poverty. It starts out with an overview of which role decentralisation plays in strategies and policies for poverty eradication and derives economic and political impact channels. It concentrates on the economic channel, the reasoning of which is rooted in fiscal federalism theory. It shows that decentralisation cannot only influence poverty by assigning expenditure responsibility to lower levels of government but also by assigning tax-raising power, which has so far been neglected by the literature. The paper concludes by pointing out a number of possible risks for realising the poverty-reducing potential of decentralisation.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sewell, David O, 1996. ""The Dangers of Decentralization" According to Prud'homme: Some Further Aspects," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 143-50, February.
- Seabright, Paul, 1996.
"Accountability and decentralisation in government: An incomplete contracts model,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 61-89, January.
- Seabright, Paul, 1994. "Accountability and Decentralization in Government: An Incomplete Contracts Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert E. B. Lucas, 1998. "Internal Migration and Urbanization: Recent Contributions and New Evidence," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 91, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Cebula, Richard, 2001.
"Migration and the Tiebout-Tullock Hypothesis Revisited,"
52413, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cebula, Richard J., 2002. "Migration and the Tiebout-Tullock Hypothesis Revisited," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 32(1), pages 87-96, Winter/Sp.
- Alderman, H., 1998. "Social Assistance in Albania. Decentralization and Targeted Transfers," Papers 134, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Roy Bahl, 1999.
"Implementation Rules For Fiscal Decentralization,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper9901, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Roy Bahl, 1999. "Implementation Rules For Fiscal Decentralization," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper9803, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Stephan Klasen, 2003.
"In Search of The Holy Grail: How to Achieve Pro-Poor Growth ?,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
096, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Stephan Klasen, 2004. "In Search of the Holy Grail: How to Achieve Pro-Poor Growth?," Macroeconomics 0401005, EconWPA.
- Inman, Robert P. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1996. "Designing tax policy in federalist economies: An overview," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 307-334, June.
- Gordon, Roger H, 1983.
"An Optimal Taxation Approach to Fiscal Federalism,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 98(4), pages 567-86, November.
- Ben Lockwood, 2002.
"Distributive Politics and the Costs of Centralization,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(2), pages 313-337.
- Lockwood, Ben, 2002. "Distributive Politics and the Costs of Centralization," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(2), pages 313-37, April.
- Lockwood, Ben, 1998. "Distributive Politics and the Costs of Centralization," CEPR Discussion Papers 2046, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shah, Anwar & Thompson, Theresa, 2004. "Implementing decentralized local governance: a treacherous road with potholes, detours, and road closures," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3353, The World Bank.
- Boadway, Robin & Roberts, Sandra & Shah, Anwar, 1994. "Fiscal federalism : dimensions of tax reform in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1385, The World Bank.
- Pranab Bardhan & Dilip Mookherjee, 2000. "Corruption and Decentralization of Infrastructure Delivery in Developing Countries," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 104, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Burgess, Robin & Stern, Nicholas, 1993. "Taxation and Development," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 762-830, June.
- Tullock, Gordon, 1971. "Public Decisions as Public Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 913-18, July-Aug..
- Richard J. Cebula, 2009. "Migration and the Tiebout-Tullock Hypothesis," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(2), pages 541-551, 04.
- Odd-Helge Fjeldstad, 2003. "What has trust got to do with it? Non-payment of service charges in local authorities in South Africa," CMI Working Papers WP 2003:12, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Sen, Amartya, 1983. "Poor, Relatively Speaking," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 153-69, July.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 1999. "Governance matters," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2196, The World Bank.
- Galasso, Emanuela & Ravallion, Martin, 2000. "Distributional outcomes of a decentralized welfare program," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2316, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus & Mpuga, Paul, 2005. "Does Greater Accountability Improve the Quality of Public Service Delivery? Evidence from Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 171-191, January.
- Pauly, Mark V., 1973. "Income redistribution as a local public good," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 35-58, February.
- Dilip Mookherjee & Pranab K. Bardhan, 2000. "Capture and Governance at Local and National Levels," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 135-139, May.
- Bird, Richard M., 1993. "Threading the Fiscal Labyrinth: Some Issues in Fiscal Decentralization," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 46(2), pages 207-27, June.
- Faguet, Jean-Paul, 2001. "Does decentralization increase responsiveness to local needs? - evidence from Bolivia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2516, The World Bank.
- Roger H. Gordon & John D. Wilson, 1999. "Tax Structure and Government Behavior: Implications for Tax Policy," NBER Working Papers 7244, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Miller Bird, 1999. "Rethinking Subnational Taxes; A New Look At Tax Assignment," IMF Working Papers 99/165, International Monetary Fund.
- Johannes P. Jütting & Céline Kauffmann & Ida McDonnell & Holger Osterrieder & Nicolas Pinaud & Lucia Wegner, 2004. "Decentralisation and Poverty in Developing Countries: Exploring the Impact," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 236, OECD Publishing.
- Vito Tanzi, 1998. "Fundamental Determinants of Inequality and the Role of Government," IMF Working Papers 98/178, International Monetary Fund.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwppe:0508006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.