Voice and Votes—Does Political Decentralisation Work for the Poor and for Women? Empirical Evidence from the 2005 Local Government Elections in Pakistan
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Johannes Jütting & Céline Kauffmann & Ida McDonnell & Holger Osterrieder & Nicolas Pinaud & Lucia Wegner, 2004. "Decentralisation and Poverty in Developing Countries: Exploring the Impact," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 236, OECD Publishing.
- Susan Steiner, 2005.
"Decentralisation and Poverty Reduction: A Conceptual Framework for the Economic Impact,"
0508006, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Steiner, Susan, 2005. "Decentralisation and Poverty Reduction: A Conceptual Framework for the Economic Impact," GIGA Working Papers 3, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Raghabendra Chattopadhyay & Esther Duflo, 2004.
"Women as Policy Makers: Evidence from a Randomized Policy Experiment in India,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1409-1443, September.
- Raghabendra Chattopadhyay & Esther Duflo, 2004. "Women as policy makers: Evidence from a randomized policy experiment in india," Framed Field Experiments 00224, The Field Experiments Website.
- Akramov, Kamiljon T. & Qureshi, Sarfraz & Birner, Regina & Khan, Bilal Hasan, 2008. "Decentralization, local government elections and voter turnout in Pakistan:," IFPRI discussion papers 754, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muhammad Irfan, 2010. "A Review of the Labour Market Research at PIDE 1957-2009," PIDE Books, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, number 2010:1 edited by Rashid Amjad & Aurangzeb A. Hashmi, March.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Cho, Seo-young & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2010. "Compliance for big brothers: An empirical analysis on the impact of the anti-trafficking protocol," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 118, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Kaivan Munshi & Mark Rosenzweig, 2008.
"The Efficacy of Parochial Politics: Caste, Commitment, and Competence in Indian Local Governments,"
NBER Working Papers
14335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Munshi, Kaivan & Rosenzweig, Mark, 2008. "The Efficacy of Parochial Politics: Caste, Commitment, and Competence in Indian Local Government," Working Papers 53, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Munshi, Kaivan & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 2008. "The Efficacy of Parochial Politics: Caste, Commitment, and Competence in Indian Local Governments," Center Discussion Papers 43523, Yale University, Economic Growth Center.
- Kaivan Munshi & Mark Rosenzweig, 2008. "The Efficacy of Parochial Politics: Caste, Commitment, and Competence in Indian Local Governments," Working Papers 964, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Owen, Ann L. & Temesvary, Judit, 2018.
"The performance effects of gender diversity on bank boards,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 50-63.
- Owen, Ann L. & Temesvary, Judit, 2017. "The performance effects of gender diversity on bank boards," MPRA Paper 80078, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chau, Nancy H. & Qin, Yu & Zhang, Weiwen, 2015. "Networked Leaders in the Shadow of the Market – A Chinese Experiment in Allocating Land Conversion Rights," Working Papers 250022, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Dostie, Benoit & Jayaraman, Rajshri, 2006. "Determinants of School Enrollment in Indian Villages," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(2), pages 405-421, January.
- Francois Maniquet & Massimo Morelli & Guillaume Frechette, 2005. "Endogenous Affirmative Action: Gender Bias Leads to Gender Quotas," Economics Working Papers 0051, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Astrid Sneyers & Anneleen Vandeplas, 2013.
"Girl Power in Agricultural Production: How Much Does it Yield? A Case-Study on the Dairy Sector in India,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
34113, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Astrid Sneyers & Anneleen Vandeplas, 2013. "Girl Power in Agricultural Production: How Much Does it Yield? A Case-Study on the Dairy Sector in India," Working Papers id:5562, eSocialSciences.
- Baltrunaite, Audinga & Bello, Piera & Casarico, Alessandra & Profeta, Paola, 2014. "Gender quotas and the quality of politicians," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 62-74.
- Elizabeth Kaletski & Nishith Prakash, 2017.
"Can Elected Minority Representatives Affect Health Worker Visits? Evidence from India,"
Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 67-102, February.
- Kaletski, Elizabeth & Prakash, Nishith, 2014. "Can Elected Minority Representatives Affect Health Worker Visits? Evidence from India," IZA Discussion Papers 8387, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Michael L. Anderson & Fangwen Lu, 2017. "Learning to Manage and Managing to Learn: The Effects of Student Leadership Service," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 63(10), pages 3246-3261, October.
- Kahsay, Goytom Abraha & Medhin, Haileselassie, 2020. "Leader turnover and forest management outcomes: Micro-level evidence from Ethiopia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 127(C).
- Mavisakalyan, Astghik & Tarverdi, Yashar, 2019.
"Gender and climate change: Do female parliamentarians make difference?,"
European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 151-164.
- Astghik Mavisakalyan & Yashar Tarverdi, 2017. "Gender and climate change: Do female parliamentarians make a difference?," Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre Working Paper series WP1704, Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School.
- Mavisakalyan, Astghik & Tarverdi, Yashar, 2018. "Gender and climate change: Do female parliamentarians make difference?," GLO Discussion Paper Series 221, Global Labor Organization (GLO).
- Joo, Hailey Hayeon & Lee, Jungmin, 2018. "Encountering female politicians," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 151(C), pages 88-122.
- Fang,Sheng & Goh,Chorching & Roberts,Mark & Xu,L. Colin & Zeufack,Albert G., 2020. "Female Business Leaders, Business and Cultural Environment, and Productivity around the World," Policy Research Working Paper Series 9275, The World Bank.
- Thushyanthan Baskaran & Sonia Bhalotra & Brian Min & Yogesh Uppal, 2018. "Women legislators and economic performance," WIDER Working Paper Series wp-2018-47, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gisselquist, Rachel M., 2020. "How the cases you choose affect the answers you get, revisited," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 127(C).
- Cho, Seo-Young & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2012. "Compliance with the Anti-trafficking Protocol," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 249-265.
- Oâ€™Brien, Diana Z. & Rickne, Johanna, 2016.
"Gender Quotas and Women's Political Leadership,"
American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 110(1), pages 112-126, February.
- O'Brien, Diana C. & Rickne, Johanna, 2014. "Gender Quotas and Women’s Political Leadership," Working Paper Series 1043, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Z. O’Brien, Diana & Rickne, Johanna, 2014. "Gender Quotas and Women’s Political Leadership," Working Paper Series, Center for Labor Studies 2014:12, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Atonu Rabbani, 2017. "Can Leaders Promote Better Health Behavior? Learning from a Sanitation and Hygiene Communication Experiment in Rural Bangladesh," Working Papers id:11904, eSocialSciences.
- van den Bold, Mara & Quisumbing, Agnes R. & Gillespie, Stuart, 2013. "Womenâ€™s empowerment and nutrition: An evidence review:," IFPRI discussion papers 1294, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:45:y:2006:i:4:p:1345-1360. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/pideipk.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.