Implementation Rules For Fiscal Decentralization
Rule #1 Fiscal decentralization should be viewed as a comprehensive system.Rule #2 Finance follows function.Rule #3There must be a strong central ability to monitor and evaluate decentralization.Rule #4 One intergovernmental system does not fit the urban and the rural sector. Rule #5 Fiscal decentralization requires significant local government taxing powers.Rule #6 Central governments must keep the fiscal decentralization rules that they make .Rule #7 Keep it simple. Rule #8 The design of the intergovernmental transfer system should match the objectives of the decentralization reform .Rule #9 Fiscal decentralization should consider all three levels of government. Rule #10 Impose a hard budget constraint. Rule #11 Recognize that intergovernmental systems are always in transition and plan for this. Rule #12 There must be a champion for fiscal decentralization .
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dillinger, William, 1991. "Urban property tax reform : guidelines and recommendations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 710, The World Bank.
- Bahl, Roy W. & Wallich, Christine, 1992. "Intergovernmental fiscal relations in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 863, The World Bank.
- Richard Bird & Pierre Gendron, 1998. "Dual VATs and Cross-Border Trade: Two Problems, One Solution?," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 429-442, July.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Robert McNab, 1997. "Fiscal Decentralization, Economic Growth, and Democratic Governance," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper9707, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Prud'homme, Remy, 1995. "The Dangers of Decentralization," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 201-20, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper9803. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.