Chinese Regional Agricultural Productivity in the 1990'a
A nonstochastic Malmquist Index and a stochastic frontier production function are estimated to examine agricultural productivity growth in Chinese provinces during the 1990’s. Results for both methods indicate high productivity growth in the mid 1990’s with a declining trend thereafter. While the Malmquist index picks up a reversal of this trend in 2000-2001, this is not evident in the stochastic frontier estimates. Both methods identify the same regions as the most productive. Variables representing public inputs such as education, research and infrastructure are shown to have an important impact on differential provincial performance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jikun Huang, 2000. "Responsiveness, Flexibility, and Market Liberalization in China's Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1133-1139.
- J. Edward Taylor & Scott Rozelle & Alan deBrauw, 1999. "Migration, Remittances, and Agricultural Productivity in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 287-291, May.
- Bin Zhang & Colin A. Carter, 1997. "Reforms, the Weather, and Productivity Growth in China's Grain Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1266-1277.
- Justin Yifu Lin, 1993. "Endowments, Technology, and Factor Markets: A Natural Experiment of Induced Institutional Innovation from China's Rural Reform," UCLA Economics Working Papers 689, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Scott Rozelle & Albert Park & Jikun Huang & Hehui Jin, 1997. "Liberalization and Rural Market Integration in China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 635-642.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- McMillan, John & Whalley, John & Zhu, Lijing, 1989. "The Impact of China's Economic Reforms on Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 781-807, August.
- Yifu Lin, Justin, 1997. "Institutional reforms and dynamics of agricultural growth in China," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 201-212, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpot:0502012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.