On Describing Multivariate Skewness: A Directional Approach
Most multivariate measures of skewness in the literature measure the overall skewness of a distribution. While these measures are perfectly adequate for testing the hypothesis of distributional symmetry, their relevance for describing skewed distributions is less obvious. In this article, we consider the problem of characterising the skewness of multivariate distributions. We define directional skewness as the skewness along a direction and analyse parametric classes of skewed distributions using measures based on directional skewness. The analysis brings further insight into the classes, allowing for a more informed selection of particular classes for particular applications. In the context of Bayesian linear regression under skewed error we use the concept of directional skewness twice. First in the elicitation of a prior on the parameters of the error distribution, and then in the analysis of the skewness of the posterior distribution of the regression residuals.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferreira, Jose T.A.S. & Steel, Mark F.J., 2007.
"Model comparison of coordinate-free multivariate skewed distributions with an application to stochastic frontiers,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 641-673, April.
- Jose T.A.S. Ferreira & Mark F.J. Steel, 2004. "Model Comparison of Coordinate-Free Multivariate Skewed Distributions with an Application to Stochastic Frontiers," Econometrics 0404005, EconWPA.
- Jose T.A.S. Ferreira & Mark F.J. Steel, 2004. "Bayesian Multivariate Regression Analysis with a New Class of Skewed Distributions," Econometrics 0403001, EconWPA.
- A. Azzalini & A. Capitanio, 1999. "Statistical applications of the multivariate skew normal distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(3), pages 579-602.
- Oja, Hannu, 1983. "Descriptive statistics for multivariate distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(6), pages 327-332, October.
- Norbert Henze, 2002. "Invariant tests for multivariate normality: a critical review," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 43(4), pages 467-506, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:0409010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.