The Hidden Inequality In Socialism
In the same time period over which the former socialist countries of Eastern Europe and Central Asia became freer, measured inequality of income for those countries increased. Researchers linked the increase to the egalitarian values of socialism and to the process of economic and political liberalization. We question that link, because we question whether socialism was egalitarian. The inequalities in socialism were hidden but, nevertheless, were real.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Gradstein & Branko Milanovic, 2000. "Does Liberté = Egalité? A Survey of the Empirical Evidence on the Links between Political Democracy and Income Inequality," CESifo Working Paper Series 261, CESifo Group Munich.
- David R. Henderson & Robert M. McNab & Tamas Rozsas, 2008. "Did Inequality Increase in Transition?: An Analysis of the Transition Countries of Eastern Europe and Central Asia," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(2), pages 28-49, March.
- G�rard Roland, 2002. "The Political Economy of Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 29-50, Winter.
- Rosser, J. Jr. & Rosser, Marina V. & Ahmed, Ehsan, 2000. "Income Inequality and the Informal Economy in Transition Economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 156-171, March.
- Saul Estrin, 2002. "Competition and Corporate Governance in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 101-124, Winter.
- Campos, Nauro F., 2001. "Will the Future Be Better Tomorrow? The Growth Prospects of Transition Economies Revisited," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 663-676, December.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Talk:Income inequality in the United States/Archive 2 in Wikipedia English ne '')
- Talk:Income inequality in the United States in Wikipedia English ne '')
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpdc:0411012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.