The Role of Multinational Companies in International Business Integration
Summary This paper looks at the changing role of the EU-27-based multinational companies in the global economy as compared with the main regions of the world. It makes conclusions reflecting on the framework conditions of various global development scenarios defined in the framework an international research project of the Seventh Framework Programme of the EU, ‘AUGUR’ (http //www.augurproject.eu/). First we summarize the findings of recent research on corporate internationalization and international sourcing strategies. Then we turn to the analysis of FDI balance of payments statistics, mainly change in stocks by main regions and by main economic activities. We distinguish between the two main forms of foreign market entry of investors, M&A and greenfield investments. For greenfield investment projects we keep track of the number of investment projects, investment value and business activity. Based on available data we prepared a ten-year projection for the 2010s revealing possible future shifts in the power relations between various parts of the world in terms of FDI and corporate development. The findings are summarized based on four different international integration scenarios prepared in the framework of the AUGUR project.
|Length:||43 pages including 8 Tables and 18 Figures|
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as wiiw Research Report|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43-1) 533 66 10
Fax: (+43-1) 533 66 10-50
Web page: http://www.wiiw.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://wiiw.ac.at|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thierry Mayer & Gianmarco Ottaviano, 2008.
"The Happy Few: The Internationalisation of European Firms,"
Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 135-148, May.
- Gianmarco Ottaviano & Thierry Mayer, . "The happy few: the internationalisation of European firms," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 12.
- Bandick, Roger & Görg, Holger & Karpaty, Patrik, 2010.
"Foreign acquisitions, domestic multinationals, and R&D,"
10-11, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Roger Bandick & Holger Görg & Patrik Karpaty, 2014. "Foreign Acquisitions, Domestic Multinationals, and R&D," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 116(4), pages 1091-1115, October.
- Bandick, Roger & Görg, Holger & Karpaty, Patrik, 2010. "Foreign Acquisitions, Domestic Multinationals, and R&D," CEPR Discussion Papers 8081, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roger Bandick & Holger Görg & Patrik Karpaty, 2010. "Foreign acquisitions, domestic multinationals, and R&D," Kiel Working Papers 1651, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bandick, Roger & Görg, Holger & Karpaty, Patrik, 2011. "Foreign acquisitions, domestic multinationals, and R&D," Working Papers 2011:1, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Bandick, Roger & Görg, Holger & Karpaty, Patrik, 2010. "Foreign Acquisitions, Domestic Multinationals, and R&D," IZA Discussion Papers 5252, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ambos, Tina C. & Ambos, Björn & Schlegelmilch, Bodo B., 2006. "Learning from foreign subsidiaries: An empirical investigation of headquarters' benefits from reverse knowledge transfers," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 294-312, June.
- Willem Thorbecke & Nimesh Salike, 2011.
"Understanding Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia,"
Trade Working Papers
23246, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Thorbecke, Willem & Salike, Nimesh, 2011. "Understanding Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia," ADBI Working Papers 290, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Willem Thorbecke & Nimesh Salike, 2011. "Understanding Foreign Direct Investment in East Asia," Microeconomics Working Papers 23246, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Joel Stiebale, 2010. "The Impact of Foreign Acquisitions on the Investors‘ R&D Activities – Firm-level Evidence," Ruhr Economic Papers 0161, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Gabor Hunya & Roman Stöllinger, 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment Flows between the EU and the BRICs," wiiw Research Reports 358, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Johansson, Börje & Lööf, Hans & Ebersberger, Bernd, 2008. "The Innovation and Productivity Effect of Foreign Take-Over of National Assets," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 141, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wii:rpaper:rr:384. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Customer service)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.