Facilitating international production networks : the role of trade logistics
This paper shows that networked trade in parts and components is more sensitive to the importing country's logistics performance than is trade in final goods. In the baseline specification, the difference between the two trade semi-elasticities is around 45 percent, which suggests that the effect is quantitatively important. In addition, the analysis finds that logistics performance is particularly important for trade in the Asia-Pacific region, which is exactly where the emergence of international production networks has been most pronounced over recent years. The results suggest that policymakers can support the development of international production networks by helping improve trade logistics performance.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-François Arvis & Yann Duval & Ben Shepherd & Chorthip Utoktham, 2012.
"Trade Costs in the Developing World:1995 – 2010,"
12112, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Arvis, Jean-François & Duval, Yann & Shepherd, Ben & Utoktham,Chorthip, 2013. "Trade costs in the developing world : 1995 - 2010," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6309, The World Bank.
- Maria Persson, 2013. "Trade facilitation and the extensive margin," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(5), pages 658-693, August.
- Persson, Maria, 2010. "Trade Facilitation and the Extensive Margin," Working Paper Series 828, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- shepherd, Ben, 2010. "Geographical Diversification of Developing Country Exports," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 1217-1228, September.
- Shepherd, Ben, 2008. "Geographical Diversification of Developing Country Exports," MPRA Paper 11267, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mona Haddad & Ben Shepherd, 2011. "Managing Openness : Trade and Outward-oriented Growth After the Crisis," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2283, June.
- Alberto Behar & Philip Manners & Benjamin D. Nelson, 2013. "Exports and International Logistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 75(6), pages 855-886, December.
- Behar, Alberto & Manners, Phil & Nelson, Benjamin, 2011. "Exports and international logistics," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5691, The World Bank.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukunari Kimura, 2005. "The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia," NBER Chapters,in: International Trade in East Asia, NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 14, pages 177-216 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukinari Kimura, 2003. "The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia," NBER Working Papers 10167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fukunari KIMURA & Ayako OBASHI, 2010. "International Production Networks in Machinery Industries: Structure and Its Evolution," Working Papers DP-2010-09, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Shepherd, Ben & Wilson, John S., 2009. "Trade facilitation in ASEAN member countries: Measuring progress and assessing priorities," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 367-383, September.
- Shepherd , Ben & Wilson, John S., 2008. "Trade facilitation in ASEAN member countries : measuring progress and assessing priorities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4615, The World Bank.
- Chahir Zaki, 2008. "Does Trade Facilitation Matter in Bilateral Trade ?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00348924, HAL.
- Chahir Zaki, 2009. "Does Trade Facilitation Matter in Bilateral Trade?," Working Papers 472, Economic Research Forum, revised Mar 2009.
- Chahir Zaki, 2008. "Does trade facilitation matter in bilateral trade ?," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne bla08100, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Matthias Helble & Ben Shepherd & John S. Wilson, 2009. "Transparency and Regional Integration in the Asia Pacific," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 479-508, 03.
- Allen Dennis & Ben Shepherd, 2011. "Trade Facilitation and Export Diversification," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 101-122, 01.
- Portugal-Perez, Alberto & Wilson, John S., 2012. "Export Performance and Trade Facilitation Reform: Hard and Soft Infrastructure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1295-1307.
- Portugal-Perez, Alberto & Wilson, John S., 2010. "Export performance and trade facilitation reform : hard and soft infrastructure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5261, The World Bank.
- John S. Wilson & Catherine L. Mann & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2005. "Assessing the Benefits of Trade Facilitation: A Global Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(6), pages 841-871, 06.
- Bernard Hoekman & Alessandro Nicita, 2010. "Assessing the Doha Round: Market access, transactions costs and aid for trade facilitation," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 65-79.
- Hildegunn Kyvik Nordås & Enrico Pinali & Massimo Geloso Grosso, 2006. "Logistics and Time as a Trade Barrier," OECD Trade Policy Papers 35, OECD Publishing. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)