Resiliency of Production Networks in Asia: Evidence from the Asian Crisis
This paper presents the resiliency of international production networks stretched across the Asian region in face of the Asian financial and currency crisis back in 1997-98, as well as confirming its stability with consideration to adverse effects of the crisis. A series of survival analyses provide an evidence supporting the view that transactions of intermediate goods within production networks are more likely to be stable and resilient to a temporary disruption compared to other transactions. Machinery parts & components are no exception in that a nonnegligible portion of trade relationships was actually broken off amid the Asian crisis, but many of them were restored shortly afterward as compared to the others.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://ies.keio.ac.jp/old_project/old/gcoe-econbus/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Nobuaki Yamashita, 2005.
"Production Fragmentation and Trade Integration: East Asia in a Global Context,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Yamashita, Nobuaki, 2006. "Production fragmentation and trade integration: East Asia in a global context," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 233-256, December.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
- Obashi, Ayako, 2010.
"Stability of production networks in East Asia: Duration and survival of trade,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 21-30, January.
- Ayako OBASHI, 2009. "Stability of Production Networks in East Asia: Duration and Survival of Trade," Working Papers d006, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Ayako Obashi, 2008. "Stability of Production Networks in East Asia: Duration and Survival of Trade," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2008-002, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Tibor Besedes & Thomas J. Prusa, 2003. "On the Duration of Trade," NBER Working Papers 9936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paprzycki,Ralph & Fukao,Kyoji, 2008.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Japan,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521873680.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukunari Kimura, 2005.
"The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia,"
in: International Trade in East Asia, NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 14, pages 177-216
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukinari Kimura, 2003. "The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia," NBER Working Papers 10167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fukunari KIMURA, 2006. "International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia: Eighteen Facts, Mechanics, and Policy Implications," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 1(2), pages 326-344.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Haiyan Deng & Alyson C. Ma & Hengyong Mo, 2005. "World Trade Flows: 1962-2000," NBER Working Papers 11040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kei:dpaper:2009-005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Global COE Program Office)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Global COE Program Office to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.