Development and Restructuring of Regional Production/Distribution Networks in East Asia
This paper attempts to investigate the features of development and restructuring patterns of production/distribution networks in East Asia, mainly in machinery sectors, using international trade data at the most disaggregated level, to discuss their resilient nature, and to provide policy implications for the regional production networks and the economic development in the region. Although the negative impacts of the Global Financial Crisis (GFC) in 2008 were initially transmitted through the networks, the production/distribution networks in East Asia rather revealed their resilient nature. Our empirical analysis demonstrates that intra-regional machinery trade has been enhanced and contributed as a source of quick recovery from the GFC, and that the restructuring of regional production/distribution networks has been accelerated with the GFC as a trigger. Our study on trade patterns in terms of extensive margins also demonstrates clearly how the extent and depth of regional production networks have been changing, particularly after the GFC. Based on our empirical investigation, we discuss challenges and policy implication for the further development of the production networks and economic development and integration in the region.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110|
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ayako Obashi, 2011.
"Resiliency of production networks in Asia: Evidence from the Asian crisis,"
STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT,
in: Trade-led growth: A sound strategy for Asia, chapter 3
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Dr.Ayako OBASHI, 2009. "Resiliency of Production Networks in Asia: Evidence from the Asian Crisis," Working Papers DP-2009-21, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Ayako Obashi, 2009. "Resiliency of Production Networks in Asia: Evidence from the Asian Crisis," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2009-005, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Ando, Mitsuyo, 2006. "Fragmentation and vertical intra-industry trade in East Asia," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 257-281, December.
- Obashi, Ayako, 2010.
"Stability of production networks in East Asia: Duration and survival of trade,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 21-30, January.
- Ayako OBASHI, 2009. "Stability of Production Networks in East Asia: Duration and Survival of Trade," Working Papers d006, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Ayako Obashi, 2008. "Stability of Production Networks in East Asia: Duration and Survival of Trade," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2008-002, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1998.
"Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models,"
98-11, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "Fragmentation in simple trade models," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-137, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:era:wpaper:dp-2013-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.