What Are the Opportunities and Challenges for ASEAN?
This paper attempts to investigate the features of development and restructuring patterns of regional production/distribution networks, mainly in machinery sectors, using finely disaggregated international trade data. More specifically, the paper first studies the developing patterns of machinery trade for the East Asian countries, then examines those patterns in terms of the extensive margin in order to investigate the extent and depth of the networks, and demonstrate how the networks and industrial shape are being restructured. The paper also presents some evidences on the expanding connectivity of production networks in East Asia from regional to global by shedding lights on the link between East Asia and Europe via CEE countries and concludes with policy implications on challenges in taking advantages of the mechanics of the 2nd unbundling for each ASEAN member state and ASEAN as a whole.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110|
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001.
"Fragmentation in simple trade models,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-137, July.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1998. "Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models," Papers 98-11, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1998. "Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models," Working Papers 422, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Siow Yue Chia & Song Hong & Stephen Howes & Paul Wyrwoll & Vo Hai Minh & Sun Xuegong & Saroj Kumar Mohanty & Tulus T.H Tambunan & Somchai Jitsuchon & Larry Strange & Chang Jae Lee & Zhang Yunling & Mi, . "Moving Toward A New Development Model For East Asia-The Role of Domestic Policy and Regional Cooperation," Books, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA), number 2011-rpr-10 edited by Zhang Yunling & Fukunari Kimura & Sothea Oum.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukunari Kimura, 2005. "The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia," NBER Chapters,in: International Trade in East Asia, NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 14, pages 177-216 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Fukinari Kimura, 2003. "The Formation of International Production and Distribution Networks in East Asia," NBER Working Papers 10167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard, 2011. "21st century regionalism: Filling the gap between 21st century trade and 20th century trade rules," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2011-08, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Ando, Mitsuyo & Kimura, Fukunari, 2013. "Production Linkage of Asia and Europe via Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 28, pages 204-240.
- Ando, Mitsuyo, 2006. "Fragmentation and vertical intra-industry trade in East Asia," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 257-281, December.
- Mitsuyo Ando & Sven W. Arndt & Fukunari Kimura, 2006. "Production Networks in East Asia : Strategic Behavior by Japanese and U.S. firms," Microeconomics Working Papers 21886, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:era:wpaper:dp-2013-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.