Trade Facilitation in the ASEAN Economic Community
Trade facilitation refers to the reduction of costs in the trading system. Significant cost reductions are possible, but policy reform and international cooperation are required to capture those gains. ASEAN has a key role to play in that work. Suggestions for the ASEAN scorecard are to reinforce or add commitments to, and then monitor the implementation of (a) National Single Windows as a prerequisite to the ASEAN Single Window, (b) a web-based databank of trade regulations that is regularly updated, (c) streamlined and harmonized procedures, starting with the Customs declaration (or ‘SAD’) form, and (d) mutually recognized technical standards. In terms of performance measures it is recommended to (1) have ASEAN customs authorities report regularly and in a comparable manner on clearance time through customs, (2) maintain and report updates of a logistics restrictiveness index for all countries in each year which has been developed in this project, and (3) recalculate adjusted cif/fob ratios as measures of trade costs, using the methodology developed in this project.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
593, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ayako Obashi, 2011.
"Resiliency of production networks in Asia: Evidence from the Asian crisis,"
STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT,
in: Trade-led growth: A sound strategy for Asia, chapter 3
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Ayako Obashi, 2009. "Resiliency of Production Networks in Asia: Evidence from the Asian Crisis," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2009-005, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Dr.Ayako OBASHI, 2009. "Resiliency of Production Networks in Asia: Evidence from the Asian Crisis," Working Papers DP-2009-21, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Christopher Findlay, 2009. "Trade Facilitation in the ASEAN Economic Community," Working Papers PB-2009-06, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- John S. Wilson & Catherine L. Mann & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2003. "Trade Facilitation and Economic Development: A New Approach to Quantifying the Impact," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 17(3), pages 367-389, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:era:wpaper:pb-2009-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Hiroshi Okasaki to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.