Quality contingent contracts : evidence from Tanzania's coffee market
The literature on product quality in markets where product attributes are not readily observable indicates that information asymmetries and incentive problems may lead to the under-provision of quality. This paper contributes to this literature by estimating the effects of village-level contractual arrangements on producer incomes and on quality enhancing production practices. Three contract types are studied: spot contracts, contingent contracts with product grading and contingent contracts without product grading. To do this, the study uses original data from a survey of 450 coffee producers in Tanzania's coffee market that take advantage of contractual variation in the Kilimanjaro region. The results indicate that coffee contracts that include village-based product grading have a large positive effect on producer incomes, and that the grading effect is associated with production practices that enhance quality. The results also indicate that cooperative membership has no significant effect on producer incomes.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miyata, Sachiko & Minot, Nicholas & Hu, Dinghuan, 2007.
"Impact of contract farming on income: Linking small farmers, packers, and supermarket in China,"
IFPRI discussion papers
742, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Miyata, Sachiko & Minot, Nicholas & Hu, Dinghuan, 2009. "Impact of Contract Farming on Income: Linking Small Farmers, Packers, and Supermarkets in China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1781-1790, November.
- Steven Wu & Brian Roe, 2005. "Behavioral and Welfare Effects of Tournaments and Fixed Performance Contracts: Some Experimental Evidence," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(1), pages 130-146.
- Rachael E. Goodhue & Sandeep Mohapatra & Gordon C. Rausser, 2010. "Interactions Between Incentive Instruments: Contracts and Quality in Processing Tomatoes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1283-1293.
- Saenger, Christoph & Qaim, Matin & Torero, Maximo & Viceisza, Angelino, 2012.
"Contract farming and smallholder incentives to produce high quality: experimental evidence from the Vietnamese dairy sector,"
2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
126430, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Christoph Saenger & Matin Qaim & Maximo Torero & Angelino Viceisza, 2013. "Contract farming and smallholder incentives to produce high quality: experimental evidence from the Vietnamese dairy sector," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(3), pages 297-308, 05.
- Saenger, Christoph & Qaim, Matin & Torero, Maximo & Viceisza, Angelino, 2012. "Contract farming and smallholder incentives to produce high quality: experimental evidence from the Vietnamese dairy sector," Discussion Papers 122614, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Winter-Nelson, Alex & Temu, Anna, 2002. "Institutional Adjustment and Transaction Costs: Product and Inputs Markets in the Tanzanian Coffee System," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 561-574, April.
- Alexander, Corinne & Goodhue, Rachael E. & Rausser, Gordon C., 2007.
"Do Incentives for Quality Matter?,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(01), pages 1-15, April.
- Rachael E. Goodhue, 2011. "Food Quality: The Design of Incentive Contracts," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 3(1), pages 119-140, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6171. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.