A review of credit guarantee schemes in the Middle East and North Africa Region
Many countries in the MENA region have established partial credit guarantee schemes to facilitate SME access to finance. These schemes can play an important role, especially in a period where MENA governments are making efforts to improve the effectiveness of credit registries and bureaus and strengthen creditor rights. This paper reviews the design of partial credit guarantee schemes in MENA, and assesses their preliminary outcomes. The paper is based on a survey conducted in 10 MENA countries in early 2010. The authors find that the average size of guarantee schemes in MENA (measured by the total value of outstanding guarantees) is in line with the international average, although there are wide differences across countries, and some schemes seem too small to make any significant impact. Most importantly, the number of guarantees looks generally small while their average value looks large. This suggests that guarantee schemes are not yet reaching the smaller firms. Guarantee schemes in MENA look financially sound and most schemes have room to grow. However, this growth should be accompanied by an improvement of some key design and management features, as well as the introduction of systematic impact evaluation reviews.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl, 2003. "Small and medium enterprises across the globe : a new database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3127, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten & Klapper, Leora F. & Mendoza, Juan Carlos, 2008.
"The typology of partial credit guarantee funds around the world,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4771, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten & Klapper, Leora F. & Mendoza, Juan Carlos, 2010. "The typology of partial credit guarantee funds around the world," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 10-25, April.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Soledad Martinez Peria, Maria, 2008. "Bank Financing for SMEs around the World: Drivers, Obstacles, Business Models, and Lending Practices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4785, The World Bank.
- Claire Lelarge & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship and Credit Constraints: Evidence from a French Loan Guarantee Program,"
in: International Differences in Entrepreneurship, pages 243-273
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. Lelarge & D. Sraer & D. Thesmar, 2008. "Entrepreurship and Credit Constraints - Evidence from a French Loan Guarantee Program," Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE g2008-07, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
- Honohan, Patrick, 2010.
"Partial credit guarantees: Principles and practice,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Patrick Honohan, 2008. "Partial Credit Guarantees: Principles and Practice," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp244, IIIS.
- Inha Oh & Jeong-Dong Lee & Almas Heshmati & Gyoung-Gyu Choi, 2009. "Evaluation of credit guarantee policy using propensity score matching," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 335-351, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5612. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.