Entrepreneurship and Credit Constraints: Evidence from a French Loan Guarantee Program
In: International Differences in Entrepreneurship
We use information on a French loan guarantee program in order to assess the consequences of credit constraints for new ventures. Loan Guarantee Programs, as implemented in France, are an effective instrument to help young firms grow faster, both in terms of employment and capital. These effects are quite persistent, since they are still significant four years after obtaining the guarantee. Loan guarantees also allow firms to pay cheaper interest rate, but a potential drawback of this policy consists in guaranteed ventures adopting riskier strategies and thus filing more often for bankruptcy. Last, we find no effect, at the industry level, on creation rates.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number
8218.||Handle:|| RePEc:nbr:nberch:8218||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 2013.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
2013-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Dennis Glennon & Peter Nigro, 2005. "An Analysis of SBA Loan Defaults by Maturity Structure," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 77-111, October.
- Ben R. Craig & William E. Jackson & James B. Thomson, 2005. "SBA-loan guarantees and local economic growth," Working Paper 0503, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Li, Wenli, 2002. "Entrepreneurship and government subsidies: A general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 1815-1844, September.
- Patrick Honohan, 2008.
"Partial Credit Guarantees: Principles and Practice,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Honohan, Patrick, 2010. "Partial credit guarantees: Principles and practice," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-9, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:8218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.