The impact of privatization on the performance of the infrastructure sector : the case of electricity distribution in Latin American countries
The authors analyze the impact of privatization on the performance of 116 electric utilities in 10 Latin American countries. The analysis makes a number of contributions to the literature on changes in infrastructure ownership. First, this is the first systemic analysis of the impact of privatization on the distribution of the electricity sector. Second, it constructs an unbalanced panel data set of key indicators for each country. Third, it includes a broader-than in past studies-range of indicators, such as output, employment, productivity, efficiency, quality, coverage, and prices, offering a fuller picture of the effects of privatization on consumers. Fourth, this research covers a longer period of time, and evaluates three stages-before, transition, and after-allowing for the identification of the short- and long-run effects of privatization, as opposed to previous analyses'short time series data that do not identify long-run outcomes. Finally, the counterfactual is considered through the analysis in trends. The authors apply two different methodologies. The first methodology uses means and medians from each period and tests the significance of the changes between periods. The second methodology consists of an econometric model that captures firm fixed effects, firm-specific time trends, and heteroscedasticity corrections. When needed, the authorsused firm-specific time trends to better understand the outcomes. The results suggest that changes in ownership generate significant improvements in labor productivity, efficiency, and product and service quality, and that most of those changes occur in the transition period. Improvements in the post transition period-beyond two years after the change in ownership-are much more modest.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio López-de-Silanes, 1999.
"The Benefits of Privatization: Evidence from Mexico,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1193-1242.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane, 1997. "The Benefits of Privatization: Evidence from Mexico," NBER Working Papers 6215, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio López-de-Silanes, 1997. "The Benefits of Privatization : Evidence from Mexico," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11583, The World Bank.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2003.
"The Truth About Privatization in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
3180, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- OKTEN Cagla & ARIN Peren, "undated". "How Does Privatization Affect Efficiency, Productivity and Technology Choice? Evidence from Turkey," EcoMod2003 330700115, EcoMod.
- Roman Frydman & Cheryl Gray & Marek Hessel & Andrzej Rapaczynski, 1999. "When Does Privatization Work? The Impact of Private Ownership on Corporate Performance in the Transition Economies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1153-1191.
- Estache, Antonio & Manacorda, Marco & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2002.
"Telecommunication reforms, access regulation, and Internet adoption in Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2802, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & Marco Manacorda & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2002. "Telecommunications Reform, Access Regulation, and Internet Adoption in Latin America," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 153-218, January.
- Heckman, James J. & Robb, Richard Jr., 1985. "Alternative methods for evaluating the impact of interventions : An overview," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 239-267.
- Alberto E. Chong & Florencio López-de-Silanes, 2003.
"Privatization and Labor Force Restructuring around the World,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6507, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Chong, Alberto & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio, 2002. "Privatization and labor force restructuring around the world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2884, The World Bank.
- Alberto Chong & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes, 2003. "Privatization and Labor Force Restructuring Around the World," Research Department Publications 4329, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Estache, Antonio & Rossi, Martin, 2004. "Have consumers benefited from the reforms in the electricity distribution sector in Latin America?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3420, The World Bank.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-452, June.
- Paul Joskow, 2003.
"Electricity Sector Restructuring and Competition: Lessons Learned,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 40(121), pages 548-558.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2003. "Electricity Sector Restructuring And Competition - Lessons Learned," Working Papers 0314, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio & Romero, Carlos, 1997.
"Winners and losers from utility privatization in Argentina : lessons from a general equilibrium model,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1824, The World Bank.
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio & Romero, Carlos, 1999. "Winners and Losers from Utility Privatization in Argentina. Lessons from a General Equilibrium Model," UADE Working Papers 3_1999, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2005.
"Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 83-120, February.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2002. "Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality," Working Papers 54, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Sep 2005.
- Saal, David S & Parker, David, 2001. "Productivity and Price Performance in the Privatized Water and Sewerage Companies of England and Wales," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 61-90, July.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Georges Gallais-Hamonno & Zhiqiang Liu & Randall Lutter, 1994. "Productivity Growth and Firm Ownership: An Analytical and Empirical Investigation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(5), pages 1006-1038, October.
- Wallsten, Scott, 2002. "Does sequencing matter? regulation and privatization in telecommunications reforms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2817, The World Bank.
- Estache, Antonio & Rodriguez-Pardina, Martin, 1999. "Light and lightning at the end of the public tunnel : reform of the electricity sector in the Southern Cone," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2074, The World Bank.
- Boardman, Anthony E & Vining, Aidan R, 1989. "Ownership and Performance in Competitive Environments: A Comparison of the Performance of Private, Mixed, and State-Owned Enterprises," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-33, April.
- Manuel Dussan, 1996. "Electric Power Sector Reform in Latin America and the Caribbean," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 46878, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Wallsten, Scott J, 2001. "An Econometric Analysis of Telecom Competition, Privatization, and Regulation in Africa and Latin America," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Ros, Agustin J, 1999. "Does Ownership or Competition Matter? The Effects of Telecommunications Reform on Network Expansion and Efficiency," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 65-92, January.
- Ros, Agustin J. & Banerjee, Aniruddha, 2000. "Telecommunications privatization and tariff rebalancing: evidence from Latin America," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 233-252, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:3936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.