Bank capital and loan loss reserves under Basel II - implications for emerging countries
The authors propose an integrated approach to minimum bank capital, and loan loss reserves regulation. They break new ground in two main areas. First, the authors provide an explicit measurement of the credit loss distribution for a sample of emerging countries, providing a benchmark for discussing the appropriate calibration of new regulatory capital, and loan loss provision requirements for non-G10 countries. Second, on normative grounds, they propose a simplified version of the"internal rating based"(IRB) approach as a transition tool that, while retaining a risk-based definition of solvency ratios, implies reduced supervisory monitoring costs, and could therefore be of interest to emerging countries, where supervisory resources are particularly scarce.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laeven, Luc & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2001.
"Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns : too much, too late?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2749, The World Bank.
- Laeven, Luc & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2003. "Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns: too much, too late?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 178-197, April.
- Luc Laeven & Giovanni Majnoni, 2002. "Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns: too much too late?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Powell, Andrew, 2002. "A capital accord for emerging economies?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2808, The World Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Levich, Richard & Majoni, Giovanni, 2002. "Ratings, rating agencies and the global financial system: Summary and policy implications," MPRA Paper 13249, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferri, Giovanni & Liu, Li-Gang & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2001. "The role of rating agency assessments in less developed countries: Impact of the proposed Basel guidelines," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 115-148, January.
- Powell, Andrew & Mylenko, Nataliya & Miller, Margaret & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2004. "Improving credit information, bank regulation, and supervision : on the role and design of public credit registries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3443, The World Bank.
- Margaret J. Miller (ed.), 2003. "Credit Reporting Systems and the International Economy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262134225, December.
- Verónica Balzarotti & Christian Castro & Andrew Powell, 2004. "Reforming Capital Requirements in Emerging Countries: Calibrating Basel II using Historical Argentine Credit Bureau Data and CreditRisk+," Business School Working Papers capitalreqemerging, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:3437. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.