Quelle réglementation du capital bancaire pour les pays en développement ?
[eng] Banking capital regulation in developing countries This article deals with the efficiency of capital regulation in controlling banking risks in developing countries. We point out that the simple transposition of prudential standards elaborated in developed economies encounters difficulties in these countries. Then, we wonder about the implications of the New Basel Accord for developing countries. On the one hand, we consider that the external rating approach seems to be the only alternative, but rather an imperfect solution. On the other hand, the adoption of the new Accord may affect the channels of financing in these countries. On the whole, we suggest that the transition towards the new agreement has to come along with some additional measures. JEL classifications : G12, G18, G21 [fre] Cet article se propose d'analyser l'efficacité de la supervision du capital pour contrôler le risque bancaire dans les PED. On montre que la simple transposition des dispositifs élaborés dans les pays industrialisés rencontre des difficultés dans ces pays. On s'interroge ensuite sur les implications du nouvel accord de Bâle pour les PED. On soutient d'une part, que l'approche des notations externes y apparaît comme la seule alternative réglementaire, mais qu'elle est une solution imparfaite. D'autre part, l'adoption du nouvel accord est susceptible de modifier les canaux de financement dans les PED. Au total, nous suggérons que la transition vers le nouvel accord, doit s'accompagner d'un certain nombre de mesures complémentaires. Classification JEL : G15, G18, G21
Volume (Year): 73 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.persee.fr/collection/ecofi|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George J. Benston & George G. Kaufman, 1988. "Risk and solvency regulation of depository institutions: past policies and current options," Staff Memoranda 88-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- P. Honohan, 2000.
"Banking System Failures in Developing and Transition Countries: Diagnosis and Prediction,"
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 29(1), pages 83-109, 02.
- Patrick Honohan, 1997. "Banking system failures in developing and transition countries: Diagnosis and predictions," BIS Working Papers 39, Bank for International Settlements.
- Morris Goldstein, 1997.
"Case for an International Banking Standard, The,"
Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa47, December.
- Caprio, Gerard, Jr. & Honohan, Patrick, 1999. "Beyond capital ideals : restoring banking stability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2235, The World Bank.
- Liliana Rojas-Suarez, 2001.
"Can International Capital Standards Strengthen Banks in Emerging Markets?,"
Working Paper Series
WP01-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Rojas-Suarez, Liliana, 2002. "Can international capital standards strengthen banks in emerging markets?," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 5, pages 51-63.
- Kane, Edward J. & DEC, 1994.
"Difficulties of transferring risk-based capital requirements to developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1244, The World Bank.
- Kane, Edward J., 1995. "Difficulties of transferring risk-based capital requirements to developing countries," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(2-3), pages 193-216, July.
- Powell, Andrew, 2002. "A capital accord for emerging economies?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2808, The World Bank.
- Sunil Sharma & Ralph Chami & Mohsin S. Khan, 2003. "Emerging Issues in Banking Regulation," IMF Working Papers 03/101, International Monetary Fund.
- Fredric S. Mishkin & Philip E. Strahan, 1999. "What Will Technology Do to Financial Structure?," NBER Working Papers 6892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferri, Giovanni & Liu, Li-Gang & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2001. "The role of rating agency assessments in less developed countries: Impact of the proposed Basel guidelines," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 115-148, January.
- Cem Karacadag & Michael W. Taylor, 2000.
"The New Capital Adequacy Framework - Institutional Constraints and Incentive Structures,"
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 8 edited by Morten Balling, November.
- Cem Karacadag & Michael W. Taylor, 2000. "The New Capital Adequacy Framework: Institutional Constraints and Incentive Structures," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Cem Karacadag & Michael Taylor, 2000. "The New Capital Adequacy Framework; Institutional Constraints and Incentive Structures," IMF Working Papers 00/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2002. "Sovereign Credit Ratings Before and After Financial Crises," MPRA Paper 7410, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prs:recofi:ecofi_0987-3368_2003_num_73_4_5024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.