Private investment, government policy, and foreign capital in Zimbabwe
Policy measures to encourage recovery of private investment in Zimbabwe should focus not on measures to raise current profits but on measures to relieve supply side constraints, to reduce perceived risk, to clearly define the rules of the game for foreign investors, and to create a more favorable environment for investment decision making. Together these measures would constitute a radical shift in the business environment - one that need not lead to an unwarranted rise in either the foreign share of profits or the share of foreign capital in the economy. Dailami and Walton conclude that no simple policy shift will initiate and sustain the recovery of private investment in Zimbabwe. The reasons for weak private investment are complex. Adjustments in conventional areas are unlikely to work when the problem also lies in the overall environment for investment decision making and intangible perceptions of future risk.
|Date of creation:||31 Aug 1989|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William C. Brainard & John B. Shoven & Laurence Weiss, 1980. "The Financial Valuation of the Return to Capital," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(2), pages 453-512.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "Optimal capital structure under corporate and personal taxation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1980. "Empirical investment equations : An integrative framework," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 39-91, January.
- Fallon, Peter R. & Lucas, Robert E. B., 1993.
"Job security regulations and the dynamic demand for industrial labor in India and Zimbabwe,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 241-275, April.
- Peter R. Fallon & Robert E. B. Lucas, 1989. "Job Security Regulations and the Dynamic Demand for Industrial Labor in India and Zimbabwe," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 2, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1986. "Investment, Output, and the Cost of Capital," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(1), pages 111-164.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Fazzari, Steven M & Athey, Michael J, 1987. "Asymmetric Information, Financing Constraints, and Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 481-487, August.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:248. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.