Accidents and illnesses at the workplace Evidence from Italy
The 2007 Italian Labour Force Survey contains employee-level data that allow us to analyse the determinants of work safety. Among the most significant determinants of accidents and illnesses occurring at work we find bad working conditions, not being in the first job, dissatisfaction with the current job, gender, and a latent proneness observed with occurrence of accident on the way to work. In line with the majority of economic literature, we do not find having a fixed-term contract significant. Other important findings point out that work accidents and work illnesses are two deeply correlated phenomena, and that there is a structural break after three years of tenure to be taken into account.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.deps.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes, 2002.
"Work safety in the context of temporary employment: The Spanish experience,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(2), pages 262-285, January.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes, 2002. "Work Safety in the Context of Temporary Employment: The Spanish Experience," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(2), pages 262-285, January.
- Viscusi, W Kip, 1978. "Wealth Effects and Earnings Premiums for Job Hazards," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(3), pages 408-16, August.
- Akbar Marvasti, 2010.
"Occupational Safety and English Language Proficiency,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 332-347, December.
- Marvasti, Akbar, 2008. "Occupational Safety and English Language Proficiency," MPRA Paper 14490, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2009.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1998.
"Changing Inequality in Markets for Workplace Amenities,"
NBER Working Papers
6515, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1999. "Changing Inequality In Markets For Workplace Amenities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1085-1123, November.
- Carlos García-Serrano & Virginia Hernanz & Luis Toharia, 2010.
"Mind the Gap, Please! The Effect of Temporary Help Agencies on the Consequences of Work Accidents,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 162-182, June.
- Maria Guadalupe, 2002.
"The hidden costs of fixed term contracts: the impact on work accidents,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20064, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Guadalupe, Maria, 2003. "The hidden costs of fixed term contracts: the impact on work accidents," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 339-357, June.
- María Guadalupe, 2002. "The Hidden Costs of Fixed Term Contracts: the Impact On Work Accidents," CEP Discussion Papers dp0551, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Virginia Hernanz & Luis Toharia, 2006. "Do Temporary Contracts Increase Work Accidents? A Microeconometric Comparison between Italy and Spain," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 20(3), pages 475-504, 09.
- Leombruni, Roberto & Razzolini, Tiziano & Serti, Francesco, 2013. "The pecuniary and non-pecuniary costs of job displacement—The risky job of being back to work," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 205-216.
- Robert P. Hebdon & Robert N. Stern, 1998. "Tradeoffs among expressions of industrial conflict: Public sector strike bans and grievance arbitrations," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 51(2), pages 204-221, January.
- Bauer, Thomas & Million, Andreas & Rotte, Ralph & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1998. "Immigrant Labour and Workplace Safety," CEPR Discussion Papers 1876, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harvey, A C, 1976. "Estimating Regression Models with Multiplicative Heteroscedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 461-65, May.
- Terry Thomason & Silvana Pozzebon, 2002. "Determinants of firm workplace health and safety and claims management practices," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(2), pages 286-307, January.
- Oh, Joong-Hwan & Shin, Eui Hang, 2003. "Inequalities in nonfatal work injury: the significance of race, human capital, and occupations," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(11), pages 2173-2182, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521848053 is not listed on IDEAS
- Terry Thomason & Silvana Pozzebon, 2002. "Determinants of Firm Workplace Health and Safety and Claims Management Practices," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(2), pages 286-307, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:wpaper:608. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.