Experimental Evidence on the Benefits of Eliminating Exchange Rate Uncertainties and Why Expected Utility Theory causes Economists to Miss Them
Conclusions favourable to flexible exchange rates typically accord with expected utility theory in ignoring the costs that exchange rate uncertainty generates for governments, central banks, firms and unions in: (i) choosing among available acts; and (ii) existing until learning the outcome of the chosen act. Allowing for these costs involves the stages of knowledge ahead framework, Pope (1983, 1995, 2005). A laboratory experiment suggests that (i) and (ii) together outweigh the advantages of having a flexible exchange rate as an additional instrument for managing a country’s employment, interest rate, price level and international competitiveness goals
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza San Francesco 7, 53100 Siena|
Web page: http://www.depfid.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Selten, Reinhard, 1998.
"Features of experimentally observed bounded rationality,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 413-436, May.
- Selten, Reinhard, . "Features of Experimentally Observed Bounded Rationality," Discussion Paper Serie B 421, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Nov 1997.
- Eric Fisher, 2004. "Exploring Elements of Exchange Rate Theory in a Controlled Enivronment," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000199, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2001.
"International Macroeconomics: Beyond the Mundell-Fleming Model,"
NBER Working Papers
8369, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld., 2001. "International Macroeconomics: Beyond the Mundell-Fleming Model," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C01-121, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2001. "International Macroeconomics: Beyond the Mundell-Fleming Model," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt6796n8s0, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2003. "International Macroeconomics: Beyond the Mundell-Fleming Model," International Finance 0303006, EconWPA.
- Rose, Andrew, 1999.
"One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade,"
678, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Rose, Andrew K, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 2329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew K. Rose, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," NBER Working Papers 7432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dr Peter Kenen, 2002. "Currency Unions and Trade: Variations on Themes by Rose and Persson," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2002/08, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Thomas J. Courchene, 1999. "Alternative North American Currency Arrangements: A Research Agenda," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 25(3), pages 308-314, September.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Friedman, Daniel, 2009.
"Speculative attacks: A laboratory study in continuous time,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1064-1082, October.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Daniel Friedman, 2008. "Speculative Attacks: A Laboratory Study in Continuous Time," CESifo Working Paper Series 2420, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Daniel Friedman, 2009. "Speculative Attacks: A Laboratory Study in Continuous Time," Working Papers 072009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Eric O'N. Fisher, 2001.
"Purchasing Power Parity and Interest Parity in the Laboratory,"
01-07, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Fisher, Eric O'N, 2001. "Purchasing Power Parity and Interest Parity in the Laboratory," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 586-602, December.
- Peter B. Kenen, 2001. "International Financial Architecture: What's New? What's Missing?, The," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 335.
- Selten, Reinhard, 1996. "Aspiration Adaptation Theory," Discussion Paper Serie B 389, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Adolfson, Malin, 1996.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Swedish Import Prices,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
123, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Malin Adolfson, 1997. "Exchange rate pass-through to Swedish import prices," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 81-98, Autumn.
- von Hagen, Jürgen & Zhou, Jizhong, 2004. "The Choice of Exchange Rate Regime in Developing Countries: A Multinational Panel Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 4227, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:labsit:010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alessandro Innocenti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.