Price Dynamics in Electricity Markets
With the liberalization of global power markets, modeling of exchange traded electricity contracts has attracted significantly the attention of both academic and industry. In this paper we offer an overview of the most common deseasonalization techniques and modeling approaches in the literature. We extract the deterministic component of EEX Phelix hourly electricity prices and we discuss different financial and time series models for their stochastic component. Additionally, we apply Extreme Value Theory (EVT) to investigate the tails of the price changes distribution. Generally our results suggest EVT to be of interest to both risk managers and portfolio managers in the highly volatile electricity markets.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +41 71 243 40 11|
Fax: +41 71 243 40 40
Web page: http://www.unisg.ch/de/Schools/Finance.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafal Weron, 2006. "Modeling and Forecasting Electricity Loads and Prices: A Statistical Approach," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook0601.
- Lise, Wietze & Linderhof, Vincent & Kuik, Onno & Kemfert, Claudia & Ostling, Robert & Heinzow, Thomas, 2006. "A game theoretic model of the Northwestern European electricity market--market power and the environment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2123-2136, October.
- Keles, Dogan & Genoese, Massimo & Möst, Dominik & Fichtner, Wolf, 2012. "Comparison of extended mean-reversion and time series models for electricity spot price simulation considering negative prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1012-1032.
- Janczura, Joanna & Weron, Rafal, 2010.
"An empirical comparison of alternate regime-switching models for electricity spot prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1059-1073, September.
- Janczura, Joanna & Weron, Rafal, 2010. "An empirical comparison of alternate regime-switching models or electricity spot prices," MPRA Paper 20546, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Simonsen, Ingve & Weron, Rafal & Mo, Birger, 2004. "Structure and stylized facts of a deregulated power market," MPRA Paper 1443, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nicolosi, Marco, 2010. "Wind power integration and power system flexibility-An empirical analysis of extreme events in Germany under the new negative price regime," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7257-7268, November.
- Byström, Hans, 2001.
"Extreme Value Theory and Extremely Large Electricity Price Changes,"
2001:19, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bystrom, Hans N. E., 2005. "Extreme value theory and extremely large electricity price changes," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 41-55.
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo Gustavo Figueroa, 2005.
"Pricing in Electricity Markets: a Mean Reverting Jump Diffusion Model with Seasonality,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0507, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo Figueroa, 2005. "Pricing in Electricity Markets: A Mean Reverting Jump Diffusion Model with Seasonality," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 313-335.
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo_Gustavo Figueroa, 2005. "Pricing in Electricity Markets: a Mean Reverting Jump Diffusion Model with Seasonality," Finance 0501011, EconWPA, revised 10 Sep 2005.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-76, July.
- Rafal Weron & Michael Bierbrauer & Stefan Trück, 2003.
"Modeling electricity prices: jump diffusion and regime switching,"
HSC Research Reports
HSC/03/01, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Weron, R & Bierbrauer, M & Trück, S, 2004. "Modeling electricity prices: jump diffusion and regime switching," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 336(1), pages 39-48.
- Joanna Nowicka-Zagrajek & Rafal Weron, 2002. "Modeling electricity loads in California: ARMA models with hyperbolic noise," HSC Research Reports HSC/02/02, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Viehmann, Johannes, 2011. "Risk premiums in the German day-ahead Electricity Market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 386-394, January.
- Bierbrauer, Michael & Menn, Christian & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Truck, Stefan, 2007. "Spot and derivative pricing in the EEX power market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 3462-3485, November.
- Eduardo Schwartz & James E. Smith, 2000. "Short-Term Variations and Long-Term Dynamics in Commodity Prices," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(7), pages 893-911, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:sfwpfi:2013:14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Frei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.