Assessing technology-based spin-offs from university support units
This paper takes a regional studies approach to assess spin-offs from a university-based technology transfer network. We first detect the regional objectives, inputs and outputs needed to assess spin-offs from support programmes. We then provide evidence on regional mechanisms for firm creation. We analyse spin-offs created at Catalan universities and find that many efficient spin-offs have formal technology transfer agreements, and emerge from technology-oriented universities. We also find that higher innovation levels and experience from the parent university are associated with higher efficiency, which is positively related to future fundamental profitability. Finally, we propose regional policy making and research directions.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Birley, Sue, 1987. "New ventures and employment growth," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 155-165.
- Sergey Anokhin & Joakim Wincent & Erkko Autio, 2011. "Operationalizing opportunities in entrepreneurship research: use of data envelopment analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 39-57, July.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-690, September.
- Acworth, Edward B., 2008. "University-industry engagement: The formation of the Knowledge Integration Community (KIC) model at the Cambridge-MIT Institute," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1241-1254, September.
- Siegel, Donald S. & Waldman, David & Link, Albert, 2003. "Assessing the impact of organizational practices on the relative productivity of university technology transfer offices: an exploratory study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 27-48, January.
- Kirchhoff, Bruce A. & Phillips, Bruce D., 1988. "The effect of firm formation and growth on job creation in the United States," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 261-272.
- Mustar, Philippe & Renault, Marie & Colombo, Massimo G. & Piva, Evila & Fontes, Margarida & Lockett, Andy & Wright, Mike & Clarysse, Bart & Moray, Nathalie, 2006. "Conceptualising the heterogeneity of research-based spin-offs: A multi-dimensional taxonomy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 289-308, March.
- Mark Casson, 2003. "The Entrepreneur," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1619.
- Steffensen, Morten & Rogers, Everett M. & Speakman, Kristen, 2000. "Spin-offs from research centers at a research university," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 93-111, January.
- Dubini, Paola, 1989. "The influence of motivations and environment on business start-ups: Some hints for public policies," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 11-26, January.
- Clarysse, Bart & Wright, Mike & Lockett, Andy & Van de Velde, Els & Vohora, Ajay, 2005.
"Spinning out new ventures: a typology of incubation strategies from European research institutions,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 183-216, March.
- B. Clarysse & M. Wright & A. Lockett & E. Van De Velde & A. Vohora, 2004. "Spinning Out New Ventures: A Typology Of Incubation Strategies From European Research Institutions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/228, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Carayol, Nicolas & Matt, Mireille, 2004. "Does research organization influence academic production?: Laboratory level evidence from a large European university," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1081-1102, October.
- Chapple, Wendy & Lockett, Andy & Siegel, Donald & Wright, Mike, 2005. "Assessing the relative performance of U.K. university technology transfer offices: parametric and non-parametric evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 369-384, April.
- Wendy Chapple & Andy Lockett & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2004. "Assessing the Relative Performance of U.K. University Technology Transfer Offices: Parametric and Non-Parametric Evidence," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0423, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Nicolaou, Nicos & Birley, Sue, 2003. "Academic networks in a trichotomous categorisation of university spinouts," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 333-359, May.
- Thursby, Jerry G. & Kemp, Sukanya, 2002. "Growth and productive efficiency of university intellectual property licensing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 109-124, January.
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. "Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- Hawkins, Del I., 1993. "New business entrepreneurship in the Japanese economy," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 137-150, March.
- Wilson, Paul W, 1993. "Detecting Outliers in Deterministic Nonparametric Frontier Models with Multiple Outputs," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 319-323, July.
- Di Gregorio, Dante & Shane, Scott, 2003. "Why do some universities generate more start-ups than others?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 209-227, February.
- Alvarez, Roberto & Crespi, Gustavo, 2003. "Determinants of Technical Efficiency in Small Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 233-244, May.
- Lockett, Andy & Siegel, Donald & Wright, Mike & Ensley, Michael D., 2005. "The creation of spin-off firms at public research institutions: Managerial and policy implications," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 981-993, September.
- Ma, Hao & Tan, Justin, 2006. "Key components and implications of entrepreneurship: A 4-P framework," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 704-725, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:1330. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.