Productivity Growth in Thailand and Indonesia: How Agriculture Contributes to Economic Growth
Total factor productivity growth in the agricultural, industry and services sectors is studied in this paper for two countries: Thailand and Indonesia, over the period 1981 to 2002. A feature of the analysis is the decomposition of aggregate total factor productivity growth into two components: productivity growth in individual sectors; and the reallocation of resources from low productivity to high productivity sectors. The results show that in both countries virtually all factor productivity growth at the sectoral level derives from agriculture, but the reallocation of resources away from agriculture was a much larger source of aggregate productivity growth.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://ceds.fe.unpad.ac.id
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Vines & Peter Warr, 2000.
"Thailand’s Investment-Driven Boom and Crisis,"
Economics Series Working Papers
51, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Young, Alwyn, 1994. "Lessons from the East Asian NICS: A contrarian view," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 964-973, April.
- Fuglie, Keith O., 2003.
"Productivity Growth in Indonesian Agriculture, 1961-2000,"
2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia
57868, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Keith Fuglie, 2004. "Productivity growth in Indonesian agriculture, 1961-2000," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 209-225.
- Jojo Jacob & Christoph Meister, 2005. "Productivity gains, technology spillovers and trade: Indonesian manufacturing, 1980-96," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 37-56.
- Jorgenson, Dale W, 1988. "Productivity and Postwar U.S. Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 23-41, Fall.
- H. Aswicahyono & H. Hill, 2002. "'Perspiration' vs 'Inspiration' in Asian Industrialisation: Indonesia Before the Crisis," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 138-163.
- Marcel Timmer, 1999. "Indonesia's Ascent on the Technology Ladder: Capital Stock and Total Factor Productivity in Indonesian Manufacturing, 1975-95," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 75-97.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unp:wpaper:200606. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arief Anshory Yusuf)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.