Adozione di Innovazioni e Variabili Relazionali nelle Imprese del Comparto Biologico
This paper empirically highlights the important role of structural social capital in enhancing the propensity to innovate of firms. Specifically, it investigates, through a probit analysis, the causal effect of the set of relations owned by producers on their propensity to innovate. A case study is presented from the South of Italy. It concerns a sample of 32 organic farming operating in the area of Foggia, an administrative district in Apulia region. The findings demonstrate that the relations with organic associations and other local institutions significantly impact on the innovative performances of firms. The first section presents the state of the art on the innovation determinants in the agro-food system. The second section focuses on the role of social capital in innovation performance. It contains the description of the specific form of social capital investigated. The third part contains the specification of the model. The discussion of findings follows. Concluding remarks are reported in the last section.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Largo Papa Giovanni Paolo II, 1 -71100- Foggia (I)|
Web page: http://www.dsems.unifg.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deroian, Frederic, 2002. "Formation of social networks and diffusion of innovations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 835-846, July.
- Bodas Freitas, Isabel Maria & Clausen, Tommy & Fontana, Roberto & Verspagen, Bart, 2008.
"Formal and informal external linkages and firms' innovative strategies. A cross-country comparison,"
MERIT Working Papers
065, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Isabel Freitas & Tommy Clausen & Roberto Fontana & Bart Verspagen, 2011. "Formal and informal external linkages and firms’ innovative strategies. A cross-country comparison," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-119, February.
- Isabel Maria Bodas Freitas & Tommy Clausen & Roberto Fontana & Bart Verspagen, 2008. "Formal and informal external linkages and firms' innovative strategies: A cross-country comparison," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20081113, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Hartl, Jochen & Herrmann, Roland, 2006. "The Role of Business Expectations for New Product Introductions: A Panel Analysis for the German Food Industry," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 37(02), pages -, July.
- Jeroen de Jong & Patrick Vermeulen, 2004. "Determinants of product innovation in small firms: A Comparison Across Industries," Scales Research Reports N200410, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Piergiuseppe Morone & Roberta Sisto & Richard Taylor, 2006. "Knowledge Diffusion and Networking in the Organic Production Sector: A Case Study," EuroChoices, The Agricultural Economics Society, vol. 5(3), pages 40-46, December.
- D'Alessio, Massimiliano & Maietta, Ornella Wanda, 2008. "The Determinants Of Innovation In The Italian Food Industry: The Role Of R&D Networking," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44856, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Huiban, Jean-Pierre & Bouhsina, Zouhair, 1998. "Innovation and the Quality of Labour Factor: An Empirical Investigation in the French Food Industry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 389-400, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ufg:qdsems:18-2009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Grilli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.