Determinants of Science-Based Cooperation: Evidence in a Sample of Small and Micro Firms
We study the determining factors of science-based cooperation in the case of small and micro firms. In this research, we propose an analytical framework based on the resource-based view of the firm and we identify a set of organisational characteristics, which we classify as internal, external and structural factors. Each factor can be linked to at least one reason, from the firm’s point of view, to cooperate with universities and public research centres. Each reason can, in turn, be used as an indicator of a firm’s organisational needs or organisational capacities. In order to validate the theoretical model, we estimate a logistic regression that models the propensity to participate in science-based cooperation activities within a sample of 285 small and micro firms located in Barcelona. The results show the key role played by the absorptive capacity of new and small companies.
Volume (Year): 9 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter) ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 05 610 20 00
Fax: 05 610 20 15
Web page: http://www.mgt.fm-kp.si
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.mgt.fm-kp.si Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Belderbos, Rene & Carree, Martin A & Diederen, Bert & Lokshin, Boris & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2003.
"Heterogeneity in R&D Cooperation Strategies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4021, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Foss, Nicolai J., 1999. "Networks, capabilities, and competitive advantage," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Jinyoung Kim & Sangjoon John Lee & Gerald Marschke, 2010.
"The Influence of University Research on Industrial Innovation,"
Discussion Paper Series
1006, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Gerald Marschke, 2006. "The influence of university research on industrial innovation," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Jinyoung Kim & Sangjoon John Lee & Gerald Marschke, 2005. "The Influence of University Research on Industrial Innovation," NBER Working Papers 11447, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeannette Colyvas & Michael Crow & Annetine Gelijns & Roberto Mazzoleni & Richard R. Nelson & Nathan Rosenberg & Bhaven N. Sampat, 2002. "How Do University Inventions Get Into Practice?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 61-72, January.
- Fritsch, M. & Lukas, R., 1998.
"Who Cooperates on R & D ?,"
98/12, Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Baptista, Rui & Swann, Peter, 1998. "Do firms in clusters innovate more?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 525-540, September.
- Keilbach, Max & Bönte, Werner, 2004.
"Concubinage or Marriage? Informal and Formal Cooperations for Innovation,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-11, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bonte, Werner & Keilbach, Max, 2005. "Concubinage or marriage? Informal and formal cooperations for innovation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 279-302, April.
- Jeroen de Jong & Patrick Vermeulen, 2004. "Determinants of product innovation in small firms: A Comparison Across Industries," Scales Research Reports N200410, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Miotti, Luis & Sachwald, Frederique, 2003. "Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: An integrated framework of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1481-1499, September.
- Hernán, Roberto & Marín Uribe, Pedro Luis & Siotis, Georges, 2000.
"An Empirical Evaluation Of The Determinants Of Research Joint Venture Formation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Hern·n & Pedro L. MarÌn & Georges Siotis, 2003. "An empirical evaluation of the determinants of Research Joint Venture Formation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 75-89, 03.
- Duysters, Geert & Lokshin, Boris, 2007. "Determinants of alliance portfolio complexity and its effect on innovative performance of companies," MERIT Working Papers 033, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mgt:youmgt:v:9:y:2011:i:4:p:319-333. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alen Jezovnik)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.