Gastar en Cuidados Médicos: ¿Es un Lujo para los Montevideanos?
Using data from de Survey of Households Expenditures (1982-1983 and 1994-1995) of the Instituto Nacional de Estadística we estimates Engel Curves for a series of health expenditure. It is possible to affirm for 1994-1995 that the total expenditure in health care are a luxury good for people from Montevideo. Analyzing some specific components the same characteristic is observed for medications, not being able to reject the hypothesis that the expenditures on IAMC and mobile emergencies are necessary goods.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo|
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://cienciassociales.edu.uy/departamentodeeconomia/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, J. A. & Newey, W. K. & Powell, J. L., 1995.
"Nonlinear errors in variables Estimation of some Engel curves,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 205-233, January.
- J. A. Hausman & W. K. Newey & J. L. Powel, 1988. "Nonlinear Errors in Variables: Estimation of Some Engel Curves," Working papers 504, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ianina Rossi & Fernanda Tellechea & Fiorella Tramontin & Patricia Triunfo, 2007.
"El estado de salud de los uruguayos,"
Estudios de Economia,
University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 34(1 Year 20), pages 73-96, June.
- Wagstaff, Adam*Doorslaer, Eddy van, 2001. "Paying for health care : quantifying fairness, catastrophe, and impoverishment, with applications to Vietnam, 1993-98," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2715, The World Bank.
- H. Naci Mocan & Erdal Tekin & Jeffrey S. Zax, 2000.
"The Demand for Medical Care in Urban China,"
NBER Working Papers
7673, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pereyra, Andrés & Rossi, Máximo & Triunfo, Patricia, 2003.
"El gasto en cuidados médicos de las familias uruguayas,"
El Trimestre Económico,
Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(277), pages 43-79, enero-mar.
- Andrés Pereyra & Máximo Rossi & Patricia Triunfo, 2001. "El gasto en cuidados médicos de las familias uruguayas," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 2201, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Máximo Rossi & Patricia Triunfo, 2004.
"El Estado de Salud del Adulto Mayor en Uruguay,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
1404, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Patricia Triunfo, 2001. "Economías de escala y de alcance de las instituciones de asistencia médica colectiva en Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1201, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Michael Grossman, 1972. "The Demand for Health: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gros72-1, September.
- Dora L. Costa, 1997. "Less of a Luxury: The Rise of Recreation since 1888," NBER Working Papers 6054, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-255, March-Apr.
- Parker, Susan W. & Wong, Rebeca, 1997. "Household income and health care expenditures in Mexico," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 237-255, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ude:wpaper:0604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Doneschi)or (Héctor Pastori)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.