Less of a Luxury: The Rise of Recreation since 1888
I show that recreation has become much more egalitarian over the last hundred years by estimating recreational expenditure elasticities in 1888-1890, 1917-1919, 1935-1936, 1972-1973, and 1991. I find that expenditure elasticities have fallen from around two at the beginning of the century to slightly more than one today and attribute this decline to rising incomes, declines in the price of recreation, and investment in public recreational goods. My findings have implications for trends in the well-being of the poor relative to the rich and for long-term trends" in work hours and labor force participation rates.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1996.
"Valuation of New Goods under Perfect and Imperfect Competition,"
in: The Economics of New Goods, pages 207-248
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1994. "Valuation of New Goods under Perfect and Imperfect Competition," NBER Working Papers 4970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, J.A., 1994. "Valuation of New Goods Under Perfect and Imperfect Competition," Working papers 94-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, J. A. & Newey, W. K. & Powell, J. L., 1995.
"Nonlinear errors in variables Estimation of some Engel curves,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 205-233, January.
- J. A. Hausman & W. K. Newey & J. L. Powel, 1988. "Nonlinear Errors in Variables: Estimation of Some Engel Curves," Working papers 504, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Levy, Frank & Murnane, Richard J, 1992. "U.S. Earnings Levels and Earnings Inequality: A Review of Recent Trends and Proposed Explanations," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1333-81, September.
- Abbott, Michael & Ashenfelter, Orley, 1976.
"Labour Supply, Commodity Demand and the Allocation of Time,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 389-411, October.
- Michael Abbott & Orley Ashenfelter, 1974. "Labor Supply, Commodity Demand, and the Allocation of Time," Working Papers 437, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1981. "The Economics of Superstars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 845-58, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:6054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.