The value of the change in health in Sweden 1980|81 to 1996|97
The study aimed to estimate the value of the change in health in Sweden 1980|81 to 1996|97. Quality-adjusted life years (QALYs) for men and women at specific ages were estimated for 1980|81, 1988|89 and 1996|97, by combining survival rates and health state scores. Data from the Swedish Survey of Living Conditions (n=39 966) were used to estimate age-specific health state scores. Responses to selected survey questions were mapped into the EQ-5D measure, using the UK EQ-5D index tariff to derive health state scores. The monetary value of a QALY was assumed to be $100 000. Life expectancy for infants increased by 3.68 years for males and 2.70 years for females between 1980|81 and 1996|97. Average health status decreased in younger age groups whereas it increased in older age groups. Expected QALYs for infants increased by 2.64 for males and 0.54 for females. With 3% discounting the gain was 0.11 QALYs ($11 000) among males and a loss by 0.58 QALYs ($58 000) among females. The corresponding gain in discounted QALYs for a 75-year-old was 1.15 ($115 000) and 0.80 ($80 000), respectively. It is concluded that older persons have experienced considerable health gains whereas the health gains have been small or non-existent for younger women. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 12 (2003)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph P. Newhouse, 1998. "US and UK health economics: Two disciplines separated by a common language?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S1), pages 79-92, 08.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-255, March-Apr.
- Michael Grossman, 1972. "The Demand for Health: A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gros72-1.
- Torrance, George W., 1986. "Measurement of health state utilities for economic appraisal : A review," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-30, March.
- Burstrom, Kristina & Johannesson, Magnus & Diderichsen, Finn, 2001. "Health-related quality of life by disease and socio-economic group in the general population in Sweden," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 51-69, January.