Why a positive link between age and income-related health inequality?
This study uses Swedish data to analyze why the SES-health gradient increases with ageing. Since different measures of SES and health capture different aspects, we use this information to explore the age increase in health inequality and to discriminate between three types of explanations, namely: i) age increase in the causal SES effect; ii) reversed health effect on SES, and iii) lifecycle variation in the measurement errors in SES and health. Thus, our analysis points in the direction that the age increase in health inequality is primarily caused by a reversed causality going from health to annual income, and the probable mechanism is health affecting the labour supply of the individual. In addition the study report that the age variation in health inequality seem to have increased over time, and during the 1980th the age variation was rather limited. The evidence in our study is not conclusive, but all evidence documented agrees and supports this conclusion.
|Date of creation:||29 Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden|
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Johannesson, Magnus, 2000.
"Income-related inequality in life-years and quality-adjusted life-years,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 1007-1026, November.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Johannesson, Magnus, 1999. "Income-Related Inequality in Life-Years and Quality-Adjusted Life-Years," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 334, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ulf-G. Gerdtham & Magnus Johannesson, 2004. "Absolute Income, Relative Income, Income Inequality, and Mortality," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(1).
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Xander Koolman, 2004. "Explaining the differences in income-related health inequalities across European countries," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 609-628.
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & Wagstaff, Adam & Bleichrodt, Han & Calonge, Samuel & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Gerfin, Michael & Geurts, Jose & Gross, Lorna & Hakkinen, Unto & Leu, Robert E., 1997. "Income-related inequalities in health: some international comparisons," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 93-112, February.
- Hans van Kippersluis & Owen O'Donnell & Eddy van Doorslaer & Tom Van Ourti, 2009.
"Socioeconomic Differences in Health over the Life Cycle in an Egalitarian Country,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
09-006/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- van Kippersluis, Hans & O'Donnell, Owen & van Doorslaer, Eddy & Van Ourti, Tom, 2010. "Socioeconomic differences in health over the life cycle in an Egalitarian country," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 428-438, February.
- Anders Bohlmark & Matthew J. Lindquist, 2006. "Life-Cycle Variations in the Association between Current and Lifetime Income: Replication and Extension for Sweden," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(4), pages 879-900, October.
- Kristina Burström & Magnus Johannesson & Finn Diderichsen, 2005. "Increasing socio-economic inequalities in life expectancy and QALYs in Sweden 1980-1997," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(8), pages 831-850.
- Kristina Burström & Magnus Johannesson & Finn Diderichsen, 2003. "The value of the change in health in Sweden 1980|81 to 1996|97," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(8), pages 637-654.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Johannesson, Magnus, 2002. "Do Life-Saving Regulations Save Lives?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 231-49, May.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G., 1996.
"Equity in Health Care Utilisation: Further Tests Based on Hurdle models and Swedish Micro Data,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
116, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ulf- G. Gerdtham, 1997. "Equity in Health Care Utilization: Further Tests Based on Hurdle Models and Swedish Micro Data," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 303-319.
- Ulf-G. Gerdtham & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2001.
"Equity in Swedish health care reconsidered: new results based on the finite mixture model,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 565-572.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Trivedi, Pravin K., 2000. "Equity in Swedish Health Care Reconsidered: New Results based on the Finite Mixture Model," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 365, Stockholm School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2010_012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.