Consumer Demand and Welfare under Increasing Block Pricing
This paper argues that an increasing block pricing structure needs to be supplemented by allowances for household size and composition to be equitable. Household behaviour is modelled as the outcome of a two-stage budgeting resulting in an integrable water demand model. The welfare effects of block pricing are studied using the concept of relative equivalence scale, modified to allow for the dependence of price on household size and composition. We use individual household data to estimate residential demand for water, provide empirical illustration of the welfare effects of increasing block pricing on demographically different households and show how these effects can be compensated.
|Date of creation:||May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.ucy.ac.cy|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Haliassos & Alexandros Michaelides, 1999.
"Portfolio Choice and Liquidity Constraints,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
9918, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Haliassos, Michalis & Michaelides, Alexander, 2001. "Portfolio Choice and Liquidity Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 2822, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Haliassos, Alexander Michaelides, 2000. "Portfolio Choice And Liquidity Constraints," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 297, Society for Computational Economics.
- Eicher, T-S & Kalaitzidakis, P, 1997.
"The Human Capital Dimension to Foreign Direct Investment : Training, Adverse Selection and Firm Location,"
97-03, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Eicher, T-S & Kalaitzidakis, P, 1997. "The Human Capital Dimension to Foreign Direct Investment : Training, Adverse Selection and Firm Location," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 97-03, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Hassapis, Christis & Kalyvitis, Sarantis & Pittis, Nikitas, 1999. "Cointegration and joint efficiency of international commodity markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 213-231.
- Dickens, Richard & Fry, Vanessa & Pashardes, Panos, 1993. "Non-linearities and Equivalence Scales," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(417), pages 359-68, March.
- Aris Spanos, 2001. "Revisiting data mining: 'hunting' with or without a license," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 231-264.
- Michael, Michael S & Hatzipanayotou, Panos, 1999. "General Equilibrium Effects of Import Constraints under Variable Labour Supply, Public Goods and Income Taxation," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(263), pages 389-401, August.
- Mamuneas, Theofanis P., 1999. "Spillovers from publicly financed R&D capital in high-tech industries," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 215-239, February.
- Carol C. Bertaut & Michael Haliassos, 1996.
"Precautionary Portfolio Behavior from a Life-Cycle Perspective,"
- Bertaut, Carol C. & Haliassos, Michael, 1997. "Precautionary portfolio behavior from a life-cycle perspective," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1511-1542, June.
- Carol C. Bertaut & Michael Haliassos, 1996. "Precautionary portfolio behavior from a life-cycle perspective," International Finance Discussion Papers 542, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sofronis K. Clerides & Saul Lach & James R. Tybout, 1998.
"Is Learning By Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence From Colombia, Mexico, And Morocco,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 903-947, August.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "learning-by-exporting" important? Micro-dynamic evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-30, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "Learning-by-Exporting" Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," NBER Working Papers 5715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spiros Bougheas & Panicos O. Demetriades & Theofanis P. Mamuneas, 2000.
"Infrastructure, specialization, and economic growth,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(2), pages 506-522, May.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Spiros Bougheas, 1995. "Infrastructure, Specialisation and Economic Growth," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 95/15, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Luigi Guiso & Michael Haliassos & Tullio Jappelli, 2000. "Household Portfolios: An International Comparison," CSEF Working Papers 48, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Sydney C. Ludvigson & Alexander Michaelides, 2001. "Does Buffer-Stock Saving Explain the Smoothness and Excess Sensitivity of Consumption?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 631-647, June.
- Michael, Michael S. & Hatzipanayotou, Panos, 2001.
"Welfare effects of migration in societies with indirect taxes, income transfers and public good provision,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Michael S. Michael & Panos Hatzipanayotou, 2000. "Welfare Effects of Migration in Societies with Indirect Taxes, Income Transfers and Public Good Provision," CESifo Working Paper Series 347, CESifo Group Munich.
- Zacharias, Eleftherios & Williams, Steven R., 2001. "Ex Post Efficiency in the Buyer's Bid Double Auction When Demand Can Be Arbitrarily Larger Than Supply," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 175-190, March.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Pittis, Nikitas, 1999. " Efficient Estimation of Cointegrating Vectors and Testing for Causality in Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1995. "Equivalence scales in a rank-3 demand system," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 143-158, September.
- Cukierman, Alex & Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Summers, Lawrence H. & Webb, Steven B., 1993. "Central bank independence, growth, investment, and real rates," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 95-140, December.
- Panayiota Lyssiotou, 2000. "Dynamic analysis of British demand for tourism abroad," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 421-436.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Michael S. Michael, 1997. "Real Exchange Rate Effects of Fiscal Expansion under Trade Restrictions," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Panayiota Lyssiotou & Panos Pashardes & Thanasis Stengos, 2002. "Age effects on consumer demand: an additive partially linear regression model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(1), pages 153-165, February.
- Blundell, Richard & Pashardes, Panos & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "What Do We Learn About Consumer Demand Patterns from Micro Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 570-97, June.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota & Pashardes, Panos & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "Preference Heterogeneity and the Rank of Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(2), pages 248-52, April.
- Spanos, Aris, 1994. "On Modeling Heteroskedasticity: The Student's t and Elliptical Linear Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 286-315, June.
- Spanos, Aris, 1995. "On theory testing in econometrics : Modeling with nonexperimental data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 189-226, May.
- Hassapis, Christis & Pittis, Nikitas & Prodromidis, Kyprianos, 1999. "Unit roots and Granger causality in the EMS interest rates: the German Dominance Hypothesis revisited," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-73, January.
- Michael Haliassos & Christis Hassapis, 1997.
"Non-expected Utility, Saving, and Portfolios,"
9709003, EconWPA, revised 11 Apr 1998.
- Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Mamuneas, Theofanis P. & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "European economics: An analysis based on publications in the core journals," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 1150-1168, April.
- Demetriades, Panicos O & Mamuneas, Theofanis P, 2000. "Intertemporal Output and Employment Effects of Public Infrastructure Capital: Evidence from 12 OECD Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 687-712, July.
- Haliassos, Michael & Bertaut, Carol C, 1995. "Why Do So Few Hold Stocks?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(432), pages 1110-29, September.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota, 1997. "Comparison of Alternative Tax and Transfer Treatment of Children Using Adult Equivalence Scales," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(1), pages 105-17, March.
- Michaelides, Alexander & Ng, Serena, 2000.
"Estimating the rational expectations model of speculative storage: A Monte Carlo comparison of three simulation estimators,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 231-266, June.
- Alexander Michaelides & Serena Ng, 1997. "Estimating the Rational Expectations Model of Speculative Storage: A Monte Carlo Comparison of Three Simulation Estimators," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 373, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alexander Michaelides & Serena Ng, 2000. "Estimating the rational expectations model of speculative storage : a Monte Carlo comparison of three simulation estimators," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 198, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Fry, Vanessa & Pashardes, Panos, 1994. "Abstention and Aggregation in Consumer Demand: Zero Tobacco Expenditures," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(3), pages 502-18, July.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Hassapis, Christis & Pittis, Nikitas, 1998. "Unit roots and long-run causality: investigating the relationship between output, money and interest rates," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 91-112, January.
- Haliassos, Michael, 1994. "On Perfect Foresight Models of a Stochastic World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 477-91, May.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2000. "A non-linear sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 604-617, August.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota & Pashardes, Panos & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "Testing the rank of Engel curves with endogenous expenditure," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 61-65, July.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1993. "Bias in Estimating the Almost Ideal Demand System with the Stone Index Approximation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 908-15, July.
- Andreou, Elena & Osborn, Denise R & Sensier, Marianne, 2000. "A Comparison of the Statistical Properties of Financial Variables in the USA, UK and Germany over the Business Cycle," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 68(4), pages 396-418, Special I.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucy:cypeua:0207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.