Public R&D Policies and Cost Behavior of the U.S. Manufacturing Industries
This paper estimates and evaluates the contributions of R&D tax incentives and publicly financed R&D investment policies in promoting growth of output and privately funded R&D investment in US manufacturing industries. Publicly financed R&D induces cost savings but crowds out privately-financed R&D investment while the incremental R&D tax credit and the immediate deductibility provision of R&D expenditures have a significant impact on privately financed R&D investment. The optimal mix of both instruments is an important element for sustaining a balanced growth in output and productivity in the manufacturing sector.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (212) 998-8936
Fax: (212) 995-3932
Web page: http://econ.as.nyu.edu/object/econ.cvstarr.html
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: C.V. Starr Center, Department of Economics, New York University, 19 W. 4th Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10012|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Interindustry Technology Flows and Productivity Growth: A Reexamination,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 241-250
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi & Lichtenberg, Frank, 1984. "Interindustry Technology Flows and Productivity Growth: A Re-examination," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 324-29, May.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1990.
"Product Demand, Cost Of Production, Spillovers And The Social Rate Or Return To R&D,"
90-53, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1991. "Product Demand, Cost of Production, Spillovers, and the Social Rate of Return to R&D," NBER Working Papers 3625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jorgenson, Dale W., 1986. "Econometric methods for modeling producer behavior," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1841-1915 Elsevier.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989.
"The Impact of R&D Investment On Productivity - New Evidence Using Linked R&D-LRD Data,"
NBER Working Papers
2901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R & Siegel, Donald, 1991. "The Impact of R&D Investment on Productivity--New Evidence Using Linked R&D-LRD Data," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(2), pages 203-29, April.
- Nadiri, M.I., 1993. "Innovations and Technological Spillovers," Working Papers 93-31, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Richard Levin & Peter C. Reiss, 1984. "Tests of a Schumpeterian Model of R&D and Market Structure," NBER Chapters, in: R&D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 175-208 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1993. "Innovations and Technological Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 4423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn Hall, 1992. "R&D Tax Policy During the Eighties: Success or Failure?," NBER Working Papers 4240, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cordes, Joseph J., 1989. "Tax incentives and R&D spending: A review of the evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 119-133, June.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-70, December.
- Cohen, Wesley M. & Levin, Richard C., 1989. "Empirical studies of innovation and market structure," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1059-1107 Elsevier.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1983. "Corporate Taxation in the United States," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 14(2), pages 451-514.
- Leonard, William N, 1971. "Research and Development in Industrial Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(2), pages 232-56, March-Apr.
- Eric J. Bartelsman, 1990. "R&D spending and manufacturing productivity: an empirical analysis," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 122, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cvs:starer:93-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Stubing)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.